I thought this was sort of interesting ... at the press registration booth at LinuxWorld Expo here in San Francisco, there's a big stack of flyers giving the tech specs of the Nokia 770, sitting right on the counter. When I asked about it, the woman behind the counter explained that they had a limited number of 770s at the show for press attendees ... if I wanted one, I could have it for the duration of the show.

Alas, of course, I've already got one.

Wow thats pretty cool, anywho, I'll have my 770 for when I go tomorrow

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Any idea what kind of reception it received from people who borrowed one?

I still can't believe most reviews center on the fact that it's not a cell phone (Nobody questions why their GE stove doesn't contain a missile guidance system though, weird) and how it's impossible to comprehend it's not a laptop or a PDA. Even more odd is they seemed to have accepted SUVs as a "new class" of vehicle right away.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by Hedgecore
Any idea what kind of reception it received from people who borrowed one?
I went to a meeting a few weeks ago and one of the attendees commented: "I see you have a 770, neat". No one else knew what it was (I had the cover on it) and no one in the room had less than a doctorate.

Today I dropped my son's MacBook Pro off at the local (independent) Apple store for warranty work. The proprietor, a very sophisticated lady and long-time "Mac person" knew exactly what the 770 was.

The word is getting around--it is what it is.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Odin: Kickass. I was on the subway coming home yesterday and at the stop before mine a girl pulled out a Macbook. (I should preface this: I hate Apple) I did a quick BT scan with my 770 to confirm my suspicions and sure enough: "Nicky Smith's Computer". (Name changed).

Months ago, in January (a month after I got my 770), someone sat next to me on the subway and asked if that was "Nokia's new PDA". After correcting him and a quick demo the guy was about to make the roadtrip down to Michigan to get one. Everyone has been hella impressed so far.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by Hedgecore
Odin: Kickass. I was on the subway coming home yesterday and at the stop before mine a girl pulled out a Macbook. (I should preface this: I hate Apple) I did a quick BT scan with my 770 to confirm my suspicions and sure enough: "Nicky Smith's Computer". (Name changed).
...but did you get her phone number? (assuming legal age, etc., etc.)
Months ago, in January (a month after I got my 770), someone sat next to me on the subway and asked if that was "Nokia's new PDA". After correcting him and a quick demo the guy was about to make the roadtrip down to Michigan to get one. Everyone has been hella impressed so far.
It (770) is a super device...and in this line of discussion, I hate Apple too...but I love them as well I think all or most Mac owners have a love-hate relationship with iFruit inc. Now I am developing the same sort of sensibility with Nokia.

Probably fair to say that no one loves Microsoft...