Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Reggie wont change the rule he as said many times in the past that every site he has run religion is a bad topic in forums. That thread might have ended tame but one post could have set it off. As members of this forum we live in the United Sections of Reggie. He has the final say and I agree Religion threads are not a good idea.

What gets me is these threads keep getting post when it is posted in plan site not to do it.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Experience has sadly shown such discussions to be divisive and destructive, and to consume a lot of moderator energy.

They don't add anything to the work of maemo. Where religion is relevant to maemo, it's allowed without problem - there are threads about Bible, Quran and prayer apps in appropriate forums. Just debating religion 'for fun' tends to divide rather than unite the community and affords no benefit.

Ultimately, why do you want to talk about it here? There are plenty of places on the net where you can have such debates, some purpose built for it. The purpose of this place is to do stuff for maemo. We don't need an Off Topic forum at all - it's a bit of an indulgence. Why push that boundary?

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ leicester UK
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
1. No one is policing anyone's thoughts here.

2. I believe everyone has agreed to the terms and condition of the forum when they signed up for an account here.

3. It's a maemo forum for crying out loud. Why bother fighting for the right to do something that has nothing to do with the forum's spirit and has no clear benefit to the community here.

4. There's enough junks generated by the fightin 'platform fanboys'. I hope I don't have to contend with reading junks generated by (anti)religious fanatics too.
I paid £500 to Nokia to buy my admittedly gorgeous n900, I'm fairly sure this gives me honourable admittance to this forum.

I am a Nokian I'm almost sure

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by Dollyknot View Post
I paid £500 to Nokia to buy my admittedly gorgeous n900, I'm fairly sure this gives me honourable admittance to this forum.

I am a Nokian I'm almost sure
Nokia doens't own or run these forums they are run on a server owned by Reggie. Reggie is a paid member of the community but not a paid Nokia Employee. I really dislike when people say they paid Nokia for there phone and the community owes them something because of that.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
Nokia doens't own or run these forums they are run on a server owned by Reggie. Reggie is a paid member of the community but not a paid Nokia Employee. I really dislike when people say they paid Nokia for there phone and the community owes them something because of that.
Why doesn't Nokia own these forums?

Can't they afford the server costs?

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Seriously, ignoring dumb rules is an American tradition from time immemorial.
Then, please, delve into the two-faced American tradition that is known as "morals". This is closely connected to That Which Shan't Be Mentioned.

US of A, pr0n central with more pr0n produced per year than any other country. No even Denmark can compete.

At the same time, THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN, with an erect penis being the most harmful thing there is to see for a child. The same child that has seen thousands of brutal killings on the news or in films. The same child that would, surely, die if it was to hear one of those naughty four letter words that get bleeped.

This is so ******ed it hurts. Protecting children from the language they, themselves, use at school and while playing with friends? Parents, and "concerned citizens", standing up for "morals" while the preachers snort drugs and get slambanged by rent boys.

Oh, yes, only in the US of A.

And yes, I'm prejudiced.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by nicola.mfb View Post

deleting a discussion thread is fascist,
Q:What would Mussolini do if he lived today?

A:He would be a moderator on the interweb. Very strict on off-topic threads.

What is needed on this forum is slashdot moderation.

Downloadable from here.

http://slashdot.org/faq/code.shtml

No problem, I subscribed and accepted terms and condition, just wanted to write what I think.

In a democracy, if the major part of peoples will share my view, the forum will accept religious discussion.
But, I'm sure that polling about it will result in the major part against them.

The weird thingh is that having two ideas and polling for them is so damn political LOL

Cheers

Niko

I just read the political poll, and the mode it was closed was so fun
That's the right spirit! Thanks texrat!

Niko