Active Topics

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by vitaly_repin View Post
This feature request was discussed here last week.

I see 3rd party folder management application as the simplest and fastest way to deliver this feature.

The idea:
After the user has configured an account, the mailbox data (including folders to sync) is inside the DB. It can be shown graphically in UI as a tree of folders and it can be modified in UI using SQL-statements. When the folder is removed from sync configuration, it is not synced anymore.

If any community developer is interested in developing such application, I can give him free "consulting" how to do it. In my opinion, it is 1-2 days of work for experienced sw. developer (including testing).

A bit hacky approach, yes.
I like your idea and would like to probe my skills on that project.

Unfortunately I am not an experienced c/c++ developer, but in my daily work I do a lot of LabView and MatLab programming and I know how to rtfm. I would like to try this in Python (PyQT/PySide).

Do you think Python is fast enough for this? (I just started playing around with Python on the N900)

And if a pro jumps on that project I would step aside a help with testing or whatever I could provide.

Could you give me a hint where to find the two things documented:
  • accessing the DB of folders
  • where to put the information of excluded folders

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vielfrass For This Useful Post:
Posts: 320 | Thanked: 763 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Espoo, FInland
Originally Posted by vielfrass View Post
I like your idea and would like to probe my skills on that project.
Cool! I am impressed. Good surprise! Thanks!

Do you think Python is fast enough for this? (I just started playing around with Python on the N900)
Absolutely sure. This is just GUI configuration application and several SQL statements.

• accessing the DB of folders
  • where to put the information of excluded folders
Will send you instructions using private messages mechanism today or tomorrow.

Regarding the database itself - you can find it in /home/user/.qmf It contains sqlite database inside.

Update: Sent instructions by private messaging mechanism. Don't hesitate to contact me with questions.

Last edited by vitaly_repin; 2009-12-19 at 19:53.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to vitaly_repin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Vitaly you are going above and beyond the call of duty here. Most of us appreciate that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
It's so great we have a one-to-one with a key Nokia developer on MfE.

Sent instructions by private messaging mechanism.
I was just wondering why you did that via PM rather than posting publicly? The latter would be more the open-source way.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 320 | Thanked: 763 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Espoo, FInland
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I was just wondering why you did that via PM rather than posting publicly? The latter would be more the open-source way.
Agree. But is this forum a proper place to post SQL statements? :-)

This was the main reason behind. Could you suggest the better place to discuss development-specific things?

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Munich, Germany
Agree. But is this forum a proper place to post SQL statements? :-)

This was the main reason behind. Could you suggest the better place to discuss development-specific things?
If I have understood and tried the code snippets, I could put them into the wiki.meomo with some additional information around them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vielfrass For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Absolutely I would press for change. You and I just have different methods.

My point here is that Vitaly is bending over backwards, putting in personal time here to listen to complaints and provide what answers he currently can. Many here appreciate the fact that they have a channel to Nokia. I don't want that driven away by repetitive ranting.
And I agree that Vitaly is doing a great job being available and responding to our concerns. It just has not made a change yet in my ability to access email. And that is the bottom line.

Long thread I haven't followed (just noticed) so haven't read everything (that'd take days), but just skimming through.

It started as "is it supported" then went in various directions. I can confirm trouble with Exch07, Google's EAS implementation and nuevasync. The problems vary depending on the server-side I'm using, but I can verify problems with receiving often 'server unavailable' messages (particularly with Google) that I've never had except very rarely for known issues (like not Internet connection :-/ )on any other device. I've used Google successfully with other mobile devices as well as a couple Macs (Calendar/Contacts - mail I just IMAP).

My biggest issue across all services is the N900's MfE doesn't a) pull over all fields per EAS protocol spec, b) doesn't properly map fields (Exch07/Google are most problematic - esp. calendar/contact notes), c) doesn't properly update N900 changes back to server, d) IM fields are not pulled into the contact they are associated with - for Google, this is really problematic - two IM addresses = 4 contacts in addition to the primary contact they came from which no longer has an IM info. Why 4 new contacts? 1 for IM address, 1 for email of that IM address x 2 = 4. Merge 50 on your phone to correct? Doesn't 'stick' - if you have to do a full resynch, you have to re-merge PLUS the 4 additional contacts created on the phone get stuck back on Google for you to go delete a couple hundred entries.

Nuevasync had so many problems (which is not the case with other devices I've used it on now and then) that after a couple hours, I went back to MfE -> Google/Exch07 direct because Nuevasync finally admitted that it seems to be a problem with how the EAS protocol was implemented.

So, I've noticed some asking for the code. If that's made available, that'd be great, but IMO there are so many issues, this should be a strong focus on Nokia/Maemo's end. I suspect the strong majority of users need this functionality whether for work or personal (Google). A BIG stretch would be to allow multiple accounts. A smaller stretch would be to support what many are growing used to and I see in forums of other devices that have implemented changes such as supporting multiple calendars (work/personal/shared) and multiple contact groups. IIRC, some are working on more than one account.

Sorry if I repeated what was said somewhere along the thread, but rather than running along smoothly with MfE by now after generations of it being out there (granted, it was on S60, I used Roadsync flawlessly on the N97 because MfE was so limited - including no HTML), a better description is I'm limping along having to do full resynchs too often.

Most of what I've noticed seems to be an issue with the protocol implementation.

The Following User Says Thank You to hex900 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Guber99 View Post
And I agree that Vitaly is doing a great job being available and responding to our concerns. It just has not made a change yet in my ability to access email. And that is the bottom line.
Understood. Advice here has worked for some and not for others, which can be frustrating. The unfortunate word for those not yet helped is patiently wait for updates. But constant harping doesn't rush that. Good feedback, on the other hand, can.

MfE on my n900 won't connect at all. I have tried with google (ok I know it doesn't work) and also with nuevasync with same results.

Mfe is giving an error, that "connection must be secure or account is disabled". I have checked the "secure connection" checkbox, where I also gave server "www.nuevasync.com" and (default) port "443".

The error is displayed instanty when I press next button on the wizard, and it feels like it doesn't even try to connect.

I emailed to nuevasync and they told me that it should work. Any idea why this is happening...?

Tags
activesync, certificate, email, exchange, fremantle, ignore tex14, maemo 5, mail for exchange, mfe, n900, provisioning, sync, thanks vitaly!