Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA

It is available on extras-devel the very first version of a "contacts" application written in Qt using Qt Mobility. The package's name is "mycontacts"

It is very far from being complete but I decided to publish to gather suggestions/comments on it.

Some of the current features:
- Skinnable user interface using style sheets. (I still have to create some screenshots and instructions)
- Auto rotate, portrait and landscape modes.
- virtual keyboard on portrait mode (it is not a qwert layout... I couldn't fit enough buttons in a row). It is a simple alphabetical order. Any other ideas?
- call phone number, call phone number using skype(1), send sms(2), send e-mail
- icons for work, home instead of text descriptions
- phone numbers in fonts that you (or at least I) can actually read and with some formatting.
- Field descriptions replaced by icons.
- email view (list only contacts with emails and all the emails for each contact)
- thumbnail view (all the contacts you have avatars for). Probably the most useful feature so far.

Notes:
(1) the application right now does not actually start the skype call but shows the "phone" interface with the contact phone number selected and allows you to select how to place the call.
(2) The "standard" sms program only works on landscape mode. I would like to "replace" it with vertsms (or some other 3rd party application) for when you are on portrait mode.

IMPORTANT:
1. When you start the application for the first time it will take quite some time to load all the information. After the first time the thumbnail list will be cached and will only take long when switching to any of the other views for the first time. This is a critical area to be improved.
2. The dependency to libqtmcontacts does not seem to be working. I can't figure out why. You may need to install libqtmcontacts first using: apt-get install libqtm-contacts

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

Last edited by fcrochik; 2010-06-26 at 03:14.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
What are the prospects on OTA syncing with a service ala google contacts? (they have an api available for that right?)

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Would it be possible to put the avatar immediately infront of the contacts rather than the right hand corner? And in the right hand corner unscrollable list of all the alphabets alphabetically from the top so just clicking on the alphabet suppose say "S" will list all the contacts starting with "S" coz opening and closing of keyboard is bit hectic and useful to do things in potrait mode.

installed, but it didn't support multi-byte characters.

The Following User Says Thank You to oldnetdog For This Useful Post:
This is a great app to have so thanks for taking the time. I just installed the app and I understand it's far from finished. Just wanted to mention a couple of things. It just loaded that contacts that I had on the phone. The thumbnails were mismatched and they appear choppy. Numbers that were also saved with a 1 in front of them don't really fit the area code format and move the area code out of the bracket. Having this format with the bracket for the area makes it difficult to save international numbers or numbers that came in with a 1 or +1 in front of them. Oh the font for the phone numbers is probably too big especially when compared to everything else on the phone, they seem out of sync and jump at you bc they are really large. But I guess it's all preference. Other than that, good job men. Glad to see people are taking initiative. Thumbs up!

Question, will it be possible to give individual contacts ringtones or make groups?

The Following User Says Thank You to dagee04 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ZShakespeare View Post
What are the prospects on OTA syncing with a service ala google contacts? (they have an api available for that right?)
The application does not actually "store" the contacts. It gets them from the "standard" address book.

Isn't there a application to sync with google contacts right now?

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network

Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
Would it be possible to put the avatar immediately infront of the contacts rather than the right hand corner? And in the right hand corner unscrollable list of all the alphabets alphabetically from the top so just clicking on the alphabet suppose say "S" will list all the contacts starting with "S" coz opening and closing of keyboard is bit hectic and useful to do things in potrait mode.
This is more or less how the "standard phone application "\select contact on portrait mode works, isn't it?

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
For Maemo/N900:

Originally Posted by oldnetdog View Post
installed, but it didn't support multi-byte characters.
This is a bug with the current QtMobility release (1)

(1) http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTMOBILITY-237

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
For Maemo/N900:

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Originally Posted by fcrochik View Post
This is more or less how the "standard phone application "\select contact on portrait mode works, isn't it?
yes you are right. So it would be easier to have similar if the Contacts also supports potrait and I would prefer avatar infront of the names and together.

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Italy
that's really nice!! dude have you already released the source?! i'm woking with qt mobility contacts and some example would be nice