Hello! I bought a Nokia N9 a few days ago, and overall, I love the device.

However, there's one thing that's really bothering me... if you turn the device sideways such that the volume keys face UPWARDS, the screen will rotate as it is supposed to.

However, if I rotate the phone such that the volume keys face DOWNWARDS, the screen will not rotate. It stays in portrait mode.

I know this seems like a minor issue, but it's very annoying. I keep turning the phone the wrong way, expecting it to go into landscape mode.

Are there any tweaks that will fix this problem?

Thanks in advance!

try to search quicktweak on this forum..

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Its limited on purpose. You can make it rotate on all 4 ways, but as it breaks the auto layout of some applications, there is limit only to have 2 orientations. And sorry, I wont be telling how to bypass that.

The Following User Says Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
From what I can tell, none of the options in quicktweak allow me to do this... is there an option I'm missing?

Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
And sorry, I wont be telling how to bypass that.
Wait, so it's possible but you don't want to tell me?

Its limited on purpose. You can make it rotate on all 4 ways, but as it breaks the auto layout of some applications, there is limit only to have 2 orientations. And sorry, I wont be telling how to bypass that.
Just PM him the method of doing it and give a CLEAR warning that you will not support any problems this causes.

I understand not posting it for everyone to see, but send him a PM with the method

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
if I'm not mistaken downloading the app 'home screen settings' and choosing unlocked as the screen orientation allows you to rotate in all directions.

Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
Thanks for your useful post, the first part at least. The community will find the way to do it, it's just a matter of time.

Where this would be most useful (IMHO) is in the navigation app. With the power connection only allowed on the top (portrait) or left side (landscape) of the phone, power cable routing is quite awkward (unless you're in the UK/Japan).

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
if I'm not mistaken downloading the app 'home screen settings' and choosing unlocked as the screen orientation allows you to rotate in all directions.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I just tried it and it doesn't work.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Slovakia
I also love my HP TouchPad, screen is rotating to any position, you can turn it round and round... it was the first thing i was missing when started to use N9.