Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by khm View Post
The reason I ask is because if Jim Jagielski intends to stand for election (and I hope he does) someone's going to need to figure out the karma situation.
I think Jim has made clear that he will happily act in other capacities (e.g. as an Adviser). I believe he understands the situation and would not feel he was maligned in any way if he's deemed ineligible to run. That said:

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Or one of the then-elected directors steps down and rest of directors appoints Jim.
The HFC has the responsibility to write the qualifications. The ByLaws put that squarely in their venue. While I understand the current Council prefers (with good reason) to not alter the requirements from past elections (especially for HFC), it would be legally allowable by the ByLaws. This is especially true of setting requirements for Board, as there are no MCC based rules for them to abide by in that regard.

As a member of the community (not as a Director), there are two things I would personally like to see:

One is adding something like this to the requirements to stand for election to Board:

"One may also qualify to run for Directorship on the Board of Directors during an election if they have in the past severed as a member of MCC, HFC or the HiFo BoD."

That covers this "special case", and allows people the community has already viewed as competent the right to stand for BoD, even if their Karma is a bit sub-par to whatever minimums are set.

I'd also like to change Karma calculations to include a 5 point award (max 15 per calendar month) to non-Council/Board who attend Council or Board meetings. That would allow people who care enough to show up and participate a way to add Karma, even if they're not as active in the other means of calculation. That would require slightly better record keeping on the part of both bodies, but I think that's a reasonable expectation.

I would be willing to create a web interface (or Midgard plugin?) for Council/Board to enter this information if such a referendum were proposed and/or passed later. (I'm pretty sure Karma changes require a referendum.)

Last edited by woody14619; 2013-04-18 at 17:45.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Will there ever be a possibility to re-negotiate on this in the future?
I am hopeful that future Board members would keep an open and established line of communication with Nokia. Further negotiations on ownership/distribution of material not covered under the current proposed contract, including Harmattan related items, is part of the Mission of the Foundation, IMHO.

To be clear: I do not think that those negotiation should be done now, or included in the currently pending contract, simply because that process has been extended to the point of causing technical problems already. But I see no reason HiFo can't place that request after signing for the rights already negotiated, and/or reminding Nokia of it's presence and desire to keep everyone in the family together every couple months.

Last edited by woody14619; 2013-04-18 at 17:46.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
I think Jim has made clear that he will happily act in other capacities (e.g. as an Adviser). I believe he understands the situation and would not feel he was maligned in any way if he's deemed ineligible to run.
That's for sure. In fact, my preference would be to be an advisor rather than a Director, since that would allow motivated people already in the community to feel empowered (sorry... buzzword) to help manage and direct the foundation.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Jimjag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
[this is a copy crosspost, please answer over at http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...0#post1337800]

I'm nominating/suggesting for (mmc/hfc, see http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...47&postcount=7) council:
chemist
generalantilles
kerio
jaffa
me
mentalisttraceur
merlin1991
qwazix
sixwheeledbeast
texrat
thedead1440

I think kerio already has self-nominated, the others pending their accepting/rejecting to run

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-04-21 at 19:34.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
council elections finished.
results:
http://maemo.org/vote/results.php?election_id=31
http://maemo.org/vote/results.php?election_id=33

more tomorrow
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
OK, so it happened that HFC and MCC have different members now.
Does this cause general trouble and bad blood?

Yes, it does.

Tags
board, community, council, elections