I'm going to mexico in a couple weeks like 2 weeks or something like that and was wondering what you guys think is the best way to get a phone connection or internet connection, the place im going has free wifi in only one spot, i can tether my phone to my laptop and/or my nokia 770 but my phone will be roaming at that time and will cost a ton of money to start trying to call people or getting online. Are there any apps I could get for my nokia to call people in mexico?

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by dragonfly1113 View Post
I'm going to mexico in a couple weeks like 2 weeks or something like that and was wondering what you guys think is the best way to get a phone connection or internet connection, the place im going has free wifi in only one spot, i can tether my phone to my laptop and/or my nokia 770 but my phone will be roaming at that time and will cost a ton of money to start trying to call people or getting online. Are there any apps I could get for my nokia to call people in mexico?
I use Skype. On my recent trip across Canada, I had no Verizon signal in many areas. Where I had signal the cost was 70 cents per minute to roam. Computer to computer is free. I payed the $10 (through PayPal) to call any phone in U.S. for about 2 cents per minute. If you go to the Skype web site you call add your phone number so that Skype sends that as a caller ID so that your friends know that you are the one calling. Of course, there will be no video transmitted or received.

I went to Cancun Mexico last June and used Gizmo on my N800 to call family and friends in New York. I bought $10 worth of Gizmo credit to call landline phones. I was even able to use video to show them around the hotel when they used the Gizmo client on their PC's. I did have occasional trouble with them not hearing my audio with Gizmo.

You could also try Skype although I seem to remember not being able to call the US from Mexico with my Skype credit.
PC #1 - HP dv2000 Laptop - Ubuntu 9.10
PC #2 - Ubuntu 9.10
PC #3 - Ubuntu 8.04/Windoze XP dual boot
Nokia N800 internet tablet - OS2008 Diablo dual boot to SD - 4gb internal + 2gb external SD cards

Last edited by possessedskier; 2009-02-27 at 15:19.

Thank you guys for the quick response, with this Gizmo thing, do i need an internet connection to run it?

Thank you guys for the quick response, with this Gizmo thing, do i need an internet connection to run it?
Yes, if you are not tethering through your cell phone.

same thing with skype needing an internet connection? because really if i have the internet connection id just chat with people via google chat like i do everyday when im home haha.

same thing with skype needing an internet connection? because really if i have the internet connection id just chat with people via google chat like i do everyday when im home haha.
Yes, same with Skype. The advantage with using Skype is that you can talk to anyone on computers, cell phones or land lines.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Thanks for all your advice

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ New York, NY
Gizmo's advantage over Skype is that it allows free calls to US toll-free numbers and free calls to some landline and US cellular numbers. Calls are free to most people who get landline phone service from their cable company and to Verizon Wireless customers. See http://gizmo5.com/pc/backdoor/ .

The Following User Says Thank You to bluechalk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 151 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Mexico City, Mexico
Just posted/answered exactly the same question in another board: here it is:

Regarding Internet : all (well, 99.9% of) Starbucks coffe shops in Mexico do offer FREE internet, just buy a coffee (or anything else) and in your ticket receipt they will print the username and password (usually a "Prodigy Infinitum" account) for that shop. Just connect the open WiFi 'prodigymovil' and get into any web page, youwill get e TELMEX Prodigy Mavil page, enter the given username and password and you are set.

So, not to worry that much. They same kind of service goes in any "VIPS" restaurant/coffee ask for a "free internet access card"
At "Sanborns" restaurants, here you would need to have a Prodigy user/pwd beforehand (no, the Starbucks one do not work here).

Also, if you have iPass it works here in Mexico. Some USA carriers, like ATT and T-Mobile, even have agreements with Mexico's TELMEX. Take a look at :http://www.telmex.com/mx/hogar/ai_pdgyMovilRoaming.html for further info (in spanish, sad to say).

I live in Mexico City, drop me a note over here if you may need further help.

Kind regards.

The Following User Says Thank You to febb For This Useful Post:

Tags
mexico