http://thenokiablog.com/2009/05/17/n...ving-june-2nd/

I really like the looks of this phone. If only maemo instead of s60

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
... If only UIQ instead of S60.

As the article says though, that's just the estimated shipping date, and it will take a while to get through to retailers even if it did ship then (which isn't certain).

Retailers who post availability estimates seem to generally be advertising the unlocked N97 as being available to buy at the end of June, with network-locked versions some time after that.

I am seriously tempted by the N97... for lack of the Freemnatle based hardware - but there I go again - complains ...

But the N97 forma factor and the total looks are really good. Is S60 really that bad that you guys want UIQ and what not over it ?
I wonder how well the Touch version of S60 v5 will be in real life ?

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Yeah, if only Maemo instead of Symbian. And a 4.1" screen. And a 5 row keyboard. And Dalvik. :-)

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
But the N97 forma factor and the total looks are really good. Is S60 really that bad that you guys want UIQ and what not over it ?
I wonder how well the Touch version of S60 v5 will be in real life ?
Just check out some of the reviews on the 5800's applications. S60 Touch has some serious integration issues

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
My Nokia 9300 is over three years old now. I didn't upgrade to the E90 because there wasn't a North American version, so the N97 is my de-facto upgrade/replacement path.

I need the full feature capability of this device for work applications (not for gaming or social networking).

I figure with an N97 and my N800s I will be set for just about anything.

Hi Guys.
Can someone tell me why the n97 is so great?
Such as, is it MORE than just a n96 with an added high-res touch-screen, S60 5th edition, and physical qwerty keyboard?
I like the n97, but most of the hardware (like the ARM11 CPU, camera, etc) is the same as the n95/n96.

Ok, thanks! Just want to know.
I think it has more to do with the added software, like full Skype.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
As far as I know, the N96 and the N97 are completely unrelated.

The N95/N96 is a longwise slider for number pad and music controls, no touch screen, no tilt screen, dpad and option buttons on the face.

The N97 is a side-slider for qwerty keyboard, tilt screen, and touch screen, no dpad nor option buttons on the face (just the call/hangup "button"s, and what I think is a menu button).

The only relationship between them is consecutive model numbers, as far as I can tell.

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
As far as I know, the N96 and the N97 are completely unrelated.

The N95/N96 is a longwise slider for number pad and music controls, no touch screen, no tilt screen, dpad and option buttons on the face.

The N97 is a side-slider for qwerty keyboard, tilt screen, and touch screen, no dpad nor option buttons on the face (just the call/hangup "button"s, and what I think is a menu button).

The only relationship between them is consecutive model numbers, as far as I can tell.
So, it seems the "GUTS" of the phones are basically the same. It's the interface and display that seperates the n97 from the n96 ?