Notices

Hi, folks,

Does anyone have experience with handwriting on the N900? Are we going to see enhanced HWR of the kind we saw with the neat Handwriting Calculator Nokia released (as a sort of demo / test) a year ago or so?

Significantly enhanced HWR would be a big draw on the N900 for me, as notetaking is one of the things I use small devices for the most.

Best,
Jon

One of the things that I really like in my Nokia 5800 is handwriting. It’s the only input method that I use except for passwords. It’s really so much faster then any other way once you’re used to it.
It’s a pity that it was not implemented on the N900.
Anyone knows if Nokia is considering to implement it in future firmware updates?

they better do, or i `ll be pissed. really dont understand why they didnt include it, along with voice dial and caller announcment..

grrrrrrrr.....

The Following User Says Thank You to Raubtier For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Prague
well, on one hand, you say they already have handwriting recognition implemented - so it probably didn't have to be too complicated/expensive to port it.. this is in case the maemo 5 will be used on more than just of their phones (n900), or.........

according to maemo summit, maemo6 should move towards capacitive displays, which means no stylus and thus no handwriting recognition possibility..

bottom line is that, i think, they will add it to maemo eventually, if maemo6 will support resistive screens afterall, and more than 1 device with maemo will be in production (which they most probably will), then maybe, maybe...... you can see there are lots of 'if's

Handwriting really works well on symbian, and I guess that nokia should have the knowhow to pass it to maemo.
I really don’t understand this change to capacitive screen. Resistitive is so much better. It’s more accurate, you can draw, icons can be smaller and it’s getting more sensitive in every model that nokia releases. My Nokia 5800 has all the sensitivity that I need.
Apple people are good sellers and everything that they have is better. If they can’t run many app at the same time, it’s very good because your battery runs longer.
The way apple misses handwriting, is a major drawback and I think it could be a major advantage for maemo.
In the Asian markets this move will be even more incomprehensible, because handwriting it’s vital there.

The Following User Says Thank You to drm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
All Maemo releases before Maemo5 had handwriting recognition. It was simply bad.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
All Maemo releases before Maemo5 had handwriting recognition. It was simply bad.
there was only one good handwriting recognition @OS2008

http://betalabs.nokia.com/betas/view...ing-calculator

Originally Posted by andree View Post
according to maemo summit, maemo6 should move towards capacitive displays, which means no stylus and thus no handwriting recognition possibility..
I doubt that Nokia will drop stylus support even with a capacitive display.

As the Maemo platform already exists for quite some time there are many apps - besides handwriting reconition - which require the accuracy of a stylus. e.g. how should something like mypaint be moved ot a finger friendly UI?

It's not the same situation like when Apple did start the iPhone and didn't have to care about existing applications for the plattform, which might not work well without pinpoint accuracy.

And apparently it's possible to have a capacitive display + stylus. At least some days ago somebody posted a link here in the forum about a company which builds stilii? styluses? which are also working on capacitive displays.

The Following User Says Thank You to iskarion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think it's all a matter of parts availability.

If said hybrid resistive+capacitive display can be sourced in adequate quality & quantity reliably and at reasonable cost, then it'll go into the Maemo 6 device.

Otherwise, there's a chance that the initial Maemo 6 device will go capacitive-only, until said vendor can catch up for the next device.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Don’t understand your point. Are you saying it will never work well in maemo so it’s better to give up. Why?