Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I've had this in the past with Sony equipment where they have their own codec. The file container format is MP4 but the codec is their own MSNV codec. Not all players support it so you have to convert it to regular MP4 before it'll play.

Handbrake or ffmpeg will probably convert it.
Yes but it's not the problem.

For exemple with my windows XP and FFDshow installed all MP4 files can play.
I think it's possible with Linux but need to add some codec to the existing one in SailfishOS.

n950: Windows example is irrelevant. Codecs are handled through libraries on Linux (libvorbis, libopus, libvpx, libav etc. etc.). And then there are frameworks built on top of that (like the mentioned above gstreamer). Applications use those libraries (for example mplayer) or they use higher level frameworks. Or a combination of both (for example Sailfish browser).

Any updates?

Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
I managed to build libvpx but I can't seem to get any picture. The Gallery app only seems to take mp4 and gst-launch doesn't give any picture only sound. Is there not a video player available that plays everything that gstreamer supports?

Edit: And are Opus and DTS also missing? Because those are part of gst-plugins-bad too.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Last edited by xerxes2; 2014-01-03 at 15:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
I managed to build libvpx but I can't seem to get any picture. The Gallery app only seems to take mp4 and gst-launch doesn't give any picture only sound. Is there not a video player available that plays everything that gstreamer supports?

Edit: And are Opus and DTS also missing? Because those are part of gst-plugins-bad too.
Yes we need to have/install perhaps a video player on Android that support all codecs. is it a good idea?

Opus is WIP, it's going to be enabled together with transition to gstreamer 1.0 (according to Jolla). I.e. nothing legal prevents it.

Last edited by shmerl; 2014-01-03 at 20:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
How did you run the gst-launch by the way?

Opus fixed and tested, was in -bad too. VP8 works according to gst-launch but it doesn't give any picture. I'm running gst-launch like this:

gst-launch-0.10 playbin2 uri=file:///home/nemo/test.opus

But it doesn't seem to support pictures, we'll have to investigate a bit more. Someone must also write a video player that supports everything that gstreamer do.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

For video you need to use proper sinks I think. I'll take a look at how to run it.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
I added support for DTS to -bad and tested on device. And xvid doesn't seem to be supported in -bad either so will have to add that too. Maybe even Gallery will support that.