/usr/share/locale
/usr/share/mime
/usr/share/nokia-maps
/usr/share/pixmaps
/usr/share/sounds
/usr/share/themes
/usr/share/tutorial-applet
/usr/share/zoneinfo
How to run script under N900? Just type in at command line x-terminal?

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
i am confused

i only installed 2 apps from devel and testing, cant remember which ones exactly, but only 2.

when i do df -h, it shows me that rootfs size is 227,9m, used 163,6m and available 60.1m with a usage of 73%

is this any normal?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Sounds about right, yes. I'm on 82% used at the moment (need to redo some cleanups though).

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
but what exactly is using 163mb of 227mb total?
the 2 apps i installed from devel and testing were both not larger than 1 mb.

so i suppose the used 163mb are system-relevant files that i cant and shouldnt remove anyway, right?

Yes, most of the space is the OS itself and common libraries. Unless you're absolutely requiring the space then it's not worth worrying about. If you're short of space for something then some of the files/directories can be moved off to the eMMC instead. This has the potential to cause problems though, so is best avoided if possible.

Some of the libraries will probably get moved in future updates but there still seems to be some ongoing planning/discussions about how best to do this.

I used this one too, rootfs increased from 38M to 72M. But this has a problem, each time I restart the N900, the will use the default blue theme automatically. How to fix this?

Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
I used the following script from one of the many root space threads on here:

Code:
#!/bin/ash

mkdir -p /home/root/usr/share
cd /usr/
for FILE in games include local src var
do
mv $FILE /home/root/usr/
ln -s /home/root/usr/$FILE /usr/
done

mkdir -p /home/root/var/cache
cd /var/cache/
for FILE in apt
do
mv $FILE /home/root/var/cache/
ln -s /home/root/var/cache/$FILE /var/cache/
done

cd /usr/share/
for FILE in fonts icons locale mime nokia-maps pixmaps sounds themes tutorial-applet zoneinfo
do
mv $FILE /home/root/usr/share/
ln -s /home/root/usr/share/$FILE /usr/share/
done

mkdir /home/root/usr/share/games
ln -s /home/root/usr/share/games .
It freed me up around 30MB space and if anything, Maemo Maps seems to load FASTER not slower (quite a lot faster). Although its the first time I loaded it since the firmware update so maybe that sped it up?

Lets not forget, the MMC might be faster for some things as its not using CPU power for compression. Its all a CPU power vs IO performance juggling act, hard to know which is going to be fastest.

Moving the apt cache alone makes a huge difference and its silly it wasting space on root. Just enabling extras-testing and extras-devel but not installing anything, should NOT eat root space. Although I guess its a good idea to disable extras-tests and extras-devel before doing a firmware update anyway, but it was silly I had to do it just to free enough space.

Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
I used the following script from one of the many root space threads on here:

Code:
#!/bin/ash

mkdir -p /home/root/usr/share
cd /usr/
for FILE in games include local src var
do
mv $FILE /home/root/usr/
ln -s /home/root/usr/$FILE /usr/
done

mkdir -p /home/root/var/cache
cd /var/cache/
for FILE in apt
do
mv $FILE /home/root/var/cache/
ln -s /home/root/var/cache/$FILE /var/cache/
done

cd /usr/share/
for FILE in fonts icons locale mime nokia-maps pixmaps sounds themes tutorial-applet zoneinfo
do
mv $FILE /home/root/usr/share/
ln -s /home/root/usr/share/$FILE /usr/share/
done

mkdir /home/root/usr/share/games
ln -s /home/root/usr/share/games .
It freed me up around 30MB space and if anything, Maemo Maps seems to load FASTER not slower (quite a lot faster). Although its the first time I loaded it since the firmware update so maybe that sped it up?

Lets not forget, the MMC might be faster for some things as its not using CPU power for compression. Its all a CPU power vs IO performance juggling act, hard to know which is going to be fastest.

Moving the apt cache alone makes a huge difference and its silly it wasting space on root. Just enabling extras-testing and extras-devel but not installing anything, should NOT eat root space. Although I guess its a good idea to disable extras-tests and extras-devel before doing a firmware update anyway, but it was silly I had to do it just to free enough space.
it give me error, the file script name is "freeroot" and I copied it to /:

:not found line 2:
./freeroot: cd: line 4: can't cd to /usr/
./freeroot: line 6: syntax error: word unexpected (expecting "do")

How can I solve?

Thanks

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netehrlands
Whow!
After the last upgrade today to n900-02-8 and restoring my 38MB backup, I ran into a total memory wall - giving me 0 (zero) and unable to reinstall numerous apts. Rebooted and got some 6 MB back.

Then I followed the 2 suggestions offered in the earlier pages. Uninstalled Python etc. which gave me some 30mb back, BUT in RAM usage.
Then I TYPED and executed each line of the script from Alex Atkin into my N900. and Hé Presto! i now have 65.35 Mb memory free.

(Had to upload the Update via the NSU as OTA gave me "not sufficient memory!"

Am all happy now! Thanks Guys!

Originally Posted by Kjow View Post
it give me error, the file script name is "freeroot" and I copied it to /:

:not found line 2:
./freeroot: cd: line 4: can't cd to /usr/
./freeroot: line 6: syntax error: word unexpected (expecting "do")

How can I solve?

Thanks
How to make a script file of those command to avoid type errors? Can I run this 2nd times like after a month to increase the rootf?

Originally Posted by truelies1 View Post
How to make a script file of those command to avoid type errors? Can I run this 2nd times like after a month to increase the rootf?
Rerunning the script will not help, no. You can make a script by copying & pasting those commands into a text file (making sure you're using UNIX format line endings) and saving it to the N900. You can then run it using:
Code:
sh filename

Tags
fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, n900, opt, optification, optify, root space, rootfs