Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
What about ditching the hw-qwerty and make it a two screen slider with a qwerty?
Some like the vicar, others like his maid. For me, the main advantage of a physical keyboard is not that it is separate from the screen. It is that you can feel the keys before you press them. A virtual keyboard on a second screen will not have that property, unless covered with some kind of bubble wrap-like transparent dome sheet.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
And moreover, I hate the idea of paying for screen estate that is not used as a screen but as a keyboard. It's absolutely nuts!

Two screens, no problem there but in addition a HWKBD.

What about a double-folding phone then? With a mechanism like two screens together with a hinge and a separate third hinged piece with the HWKBD?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
What about ditching the hw-qwerty and make it a two screen slider with a qwerty?
Something along the line of the nonalcoholic beer and the vegetarian meat...

Jokes aside the double screen may not be a bad idea, however you would need the OS and every app to be adapted to handle this feature properly. Otherwise you will have screen content cut in pieces between screens or touch gestures where yo would have to jump the 'gap' with your fingers. At the end of the day this may be just apain to use even with an adapted SFOS or modified Android as you would run in incompatible apps every time.

Last edited by Merienth; 2018-01-18 at 08:29. Reason: meat is not spelled meet :-)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Merienth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I dunno. A folding phone will probably be too fat. Typing on a second screen probably can't be much different than just using a larger phone like a Note 8 or some other 6 inch phone. Might be OK if in landscape. But still missing that tactile sense which is a very important feature of HWKB. I remember hearing about screens that could make little bumps on the surface to give a tactile sense. Maybe that could be made to work. Otherwise, If I can't have a HWKB I would prefer to enter information telepathically!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
From the comments here its pretty obvious that the foldable device will be a monster hit

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
why stop there??? Since LG Display showed rollable OLED all we need is HWK base with CD like slot for rollup screen.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
why stop there??? Since LG Display showed rollable OLED all we need is HWK base with CD like slot for rollup screen.
Are you talking about a disc phone?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I hate the idea of paying for screen estate that is not used as a screen but as a keyboard.
That objection is purely emotional and not based on anything rational.
Making a screen is cheaper than making a keyboard. That's why manufacturers push large screens down your throat.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That objection is purely emotional and not based on anything rational.
Making a screen is cheaper than making a keyboard. That's why manufacturers push large screens down your throat.
They are also the most fragile part of the device (usually)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
They are also the most fragile part of the device (usually)
Yes. Another reason for pushing them to the customers. As big as possible and as thin as possible. The more the customers break the more they have to come back for new ones.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen