Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 53 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by vinc17 View Post
Yes, one doesn't know why it keeps rebooting: no log, not a single error message. Ditto for the Application manager: one doesn't know what's going on when packages are installed (one doesn't even know what packages are installed), one doesn't know when something fails. While problems can often be solved after seeing logs / error messages under Unix, this is not possible here.
- there is a config file which includes the list of isntalled packages. I believe this is the source document for the GUI package manager. If you can't see the list of installed packages in your GUI app, you can instead get it from the text file directly. When upgrading between versions, I've copied this to reference when needing to know what nifty package I previously had installed. I'd give the location and name but I'm at work and can't confirm currently. Other's here will know where it is though (thought it was /etc/dpkg/ or /etc/apt/.. maybe a var. believe the file was packages.installed or similar)

- in terms of logging, I've considered adding syslogd to my install but I want to minimize what writes to the flash memory ratehr than hit the chips write limit any faster than I have too. I've had to many usb flashdrives hit there limit to rush my N810 into retirnment. You can install syslogd though if prefered.

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Software doesn't fail randomly, unless there's a hardware failure.
You haven't worked with Windows much.

(sorry, I know it's completely off topic but I couldn't resist after giggling at that line a few times. Well written software will give an indication of why it has failed though; even if us humble end users don't know how to read that indication.)

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Some users said that the SSU broke their bootmenu, so how would this solve anything concerning the endless reboot loop?
Simple, take the jffs2 image the initfs_flasher generates and store it on your computer.

Moreover this wiki page doesn't mention the tools to get USB networking before the reboot (http://wiki.maemo.org/USB_networking is silent on this point too).
The USBNet article is a slightly different subject. The README for the initfs flasher contains all the relevant information.

In summary, hold down the menu key and plug in a USB cable.

Unfortunately not everyone remembers everything what they did since the last reflash, including things not done as root (as the SSU behavior also depends on user space, as it was shown).
Yes, well, they surely remember if they did something, and not report having done nothing when it's clearly not the case. Black periods are a symptom of a possibly severe neurological disorder.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Update:

I had some time this morning so I figured I'd leave my internal OS install to update. It hit a non-responsive update server and failed leaving me with a partial update; the majority of packages seem to be hanging at the GUI's "downloading" status bar. I grabbed any package related too networking that didn't hang on download but figured the wireless networking would be chewed the same way I managed to break my SD install's connectivity. Now that I've had a chance to reboot and check, my internal install is detecting wireless networks as it should so I can continue the updates when the servers stop hanging my downloads later.

This also means that I can grab those same .deb and bring them to the SD to install from local storage. This will fix the networking issue of not detecting any wifi signals to connect too. Now, provided the updated OS does not go into looped rebooting or a hung partial boot, I'll be able to try the update and boot menu reflash rather than fixing issues beyond my comprehension by recloning.

Posts: 227 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
- there is a config file which includes the list of isntalled packages.
I regularly retrieve the output of "dpkg -l", but this gives too little information about the status of the tablet.

Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
- in terms of logging, I've considered adding syslogd to my install but I want to minimize what writes to the flash memory ratehr than hit the chips write limit any faster than I have too.
Perhaps it could be disabled at the end of the boot.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Unfortunately not everyone remembers everything what they did since the last reflash, including things not done as root (as the SSU behavior also depends on user space, as it was shown).
Hang on a second.

It's unfortunate that some have performed actions on their tablets that interfered with SSU, and they don't recall offhand what those actions were, but doing so in the first place was a risk they chose to take.

I have said this numerous times but I guess it is still not resonating with everyone: Nokia cannot possibly test for every single possible configuration out there. And the community has done some really far out things! (that's not meant in a bad way-- I think it's cool).

The above is not an excuse for "alpha products or poor QA" as one poster mistakenly alleged. It's just reality. And comparing Maemo to long-established linux builds (as some have) is a bit naive.

None of the problems with SSU are wilfull maliciousness on Nokia's part as some seem to believe. They are the result of something irregular. And while statements like Jaffa's about doing a little investigation may seem trite, doing so and reporting back through bugzilla is the only way that the Maemo team can acquire the information necessary to prevent future problems.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Hang on a second.

It's unfortunate that some have performed actions on their tablets that interfered with SSU, and they don't recall offhand what those actions were, but doing so in the first place was a risk they chose to take.

I have said this numerous times but I guess it is still not resonating with everyone: Nokia cannot possibly test for every single possible configuration out there. And the community has done some really far out things! (that's not meant in a bad way-- I think it's cool).
Fine with me, as long as they alert users that the supplied documentation is an integral part of the operating system. Such a feature is uncommon on mainstream OS so many users may be surprised that deleting such documentation may cause the update to fail. If this is not poor quality insurance on a software release, they would better provide warnings when deleting such files!
Otherwise, in a more constructive way, they could try to provide some fixes and learn from their mistakes.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by bafio View Post
Fine with me, as long as they alert users that the supplied documentation is an integral part of the operating system. Such a feature is uncommon on mainstream OS so many users may be surprised that deleting such documentation may cause the update to fail. If this is not poor quality insurance on a software release, they would better provide warnings when deleting such files!
Otherwise, in a more constructive way, they could try to provide some fixes and learn from their mistakes.
I feel like I must be speaking some alien language.

Isn't the last part of your post what I just said?

The documentation issue has been bugged and I am confident it will be addressed. Reporting it, voting on it and discussing it are all parts of the feedback and correction process. Have you voted on that bug yet?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Hi,

I updated my n810 last night and found out that WLAN "selection connection" is NOT working properly. It keeps "searching", but no wifi network shows up! Though it still connects to my home wireless router as it was saved in the profile. The WLAN taskbar icon is grayed out...

Anyone else is having similar problems? How do I fix this.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

-DX

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by dxitt View Post
Anyone else is having similar problems?
Yes. Please see bug # 3749.

Closed Thread

Tags
diablo, os2008, ssu, upgrade