Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
So, I've setup scratchbox by following the instructions posted here:
http://wiki.maemo.org/CSSU-thumb_too...cc4.7.2-linaro)

How do I determine if my application is in fact compiled for thumb2? Any way to tell based on the executable produced or libraries linked? I am passing -mthumb.

I ask this because compiling atari800 v3.0.0 makes the executable about 50k bigger with thumb/gcc4.72-linaro, so I wonder if I have everything right or not. It does seem to make the emulator a bit faster (about 5% based on some quick and dirty tests).

The Following User Says Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Use readelf -A $BINARY , if it is thumb2 compiled you'll see "Tag_THUMB_ISA_use: Thumb-2"

Did you strip the binary before comparing the sizes? as gcc 4.7.2 produces more debug info than 4.2.1. Could you post all gcc options?

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

Thanks, the binary is thumb2 compiled so that's at least working. The binary is stripped (I ran strip on it), so this size is after it's stripped.

I used a few different options to see how they affect the end result. What I think happened, is that in the GCC472 target, the configure script created a slightly different setup, as the libraries each is linked to is slightly different. I'll look into that and try to sort it out.

What options do you suggest using? I did try the options from the wiki page, -mthumb -mfpu=neon -ftree-vectorize -fgraphite and even just -mthumb, they pretty much created the same size executable for me and didn't seem to have much effect on the execution of this app. Oh, and -O3.

Just found this page:
http://boards.openpandora.org/index....ery-toolchain/

What do you think of the suggestions there? The Pandora is similar hardware to the n900 (IIRC) Specifically, this "-mcpu=cortex-a8" which webpages I've looked at seem to suggest might help produce code specifically tuned for our CPU. Also, it seems from the reading I've done, that just passing -mfpu=neon may not be enough to enable neon optimizations due to unsafe math functions (??)

Another page about FP on the A8:
http://pandorawiki.org/Floating_Point_Optimization

Last edited by shawnjefferson; 2013-07-27 at 18:24.

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ United Arab Emirates, Dubai
I just wanna tell you that I have had enough from this cssu thumb2

each time I have tried to install it on my n900 ended up reflashing it and for three days i have reflashed my device five times

Don't know what is wrong even though I have tried to follow instructions
and tried to upgrade the kenel

It works fine, so if you're having trouble, it's something on your end. Maybe you should stick with CSSU stable or testing in that case.

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Originally Posted by shawnjefferson View Post
It works fine, so if you're having trouble, it's something on your end. Maybe you should stick with CSSU stable or testing in that case.
thanks for reply but i have cssu stable and and enabled cssu devel and cssu testing and cssu stable and extras-devel only

When the update came and strated updating either through x-terminal or through HAM after a reboot it get stucks and rebooting all the time

I have tried to install it several time and I have updated the kernel but no use

Even when I have tried to EMMC flash I couldn't only normal flash

So I don't know what Happen

Notice when i update the kernel it keeps showing unknown version in about products and *#0000# and health check so what i did I returned back to it's stock kernel to fix this problem

why man
why you have enabled cssu-testings and cssu-devel repository when you have cssu-stable installed on your n900
please disable them and read twice or thrice wiki pages
please post your problem in cssu-testings or stable thread
there you will assisted what to do

The Following User Says Thank You to Sourav.dubey For This Useful Post:
thanks dude for the information

The Following User Says Thank You to salahkhani For This Useful Post:

Tags
scratchbox, thumb