Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
If this is how you do programming then you are doing it wrong

(EDIT: I think I know what you mean. Discovering things, learning how things work etc. Especially with little or no documentation. But the programming process itself is deterministic.)
Study the past, if you would divine the future.
Confucius

We learn on mistakes :P

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Another option for getting into programming is via a book.
Personally, I really liked the Head First design patterns and object oriented design books.
The Java book of this series was too simple for my taste but I think it is intended as introductory book anyway.
I don't know other books of this series but I really like their approach on communicating knowledge.

(Yes, I know, the examples I list above are primarily targeting Java but there are also books in this series that cover other languages and despite the focus on a specific language the concepts like design patterns can be applied more universally.)

PS:
With books it is also more likely to find a good translation in other languages than English.
Nonetheless, imho, most information about programming and computer science in general is in english.
Thus, trying to get into the english literature (not only books but also blogs, API docs, etc.) is important as well.

PPS:
By the way, I don't want to sound like a Head First sales guy.
I am sure that there are also many other great books out there.

PPPS:
And like others said, practicing and having fun is also very important.

Last edited by Wonko; 2015-01-07 at 08:25.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
Originally Posted by lorenzo View Post
hello!
i wanted to learn how to develop apps, mainly for sailfishos, but i never did this before...
where i can start from?
is there a sort of list with all layouts and functions needed?
Thanks that you made this thread! I was going to make same kind of thread soonishly because I start new school and I will have time to learn SFOS app developing

My new year's "resolution" is to make first Sailfish app..

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post:
Posts: 491 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Pordenone IT
so i started learning python (mainly because i found a tutorial in italian http://www.arcetri.astro.it/~lfini/AGauld/)
i also installed qt & sfos skd and took a look at https://sailfishos.org/sailfish-sili...ilica-all.html but i have many questions
where i can find a sort of dictionary with all available functions already implemented in sailfish? and which properties do support which functions?

Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
Iám on the same.
Learning from here.
Its a german book to learn C
http://www.c-howto.de/

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ switzerland
I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but on the left tool bar in both sf-sdk and qt qtcreator , you have a Help button.

In there you can find all functions available for qt and silica (silica only in sf-sdk qtcreator's Help).

Look in the content section, there is a brief description of each qt modules and also a list of all QML type for this module.

Good luck!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mitrigol For This Useful Post:

Tags
developing, sailfish os