As far as Sailfish goes one needs more memory to take advantage of multitasking. Even without alien dalvik things can start to be closed too often. Very different from the Maemo experience on the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by alfredquack View Post
might be slightly off topic, but

what do you need faster hardware for?
it's not necessarily that i need faster hardware.

no, what i need is not to feel ripped off in paying 250 Euros for hardware that can be seen in Landfill android for just a third as much.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
it's not necessarily that i need faster hardware.

no, what i need is not to feel ripped off in paying 250 Euros for hardware that can be seen in Landfill android for just a third as much.
I personally pay more for a jolla device than shitty android devices and the reason is simple:

Jolla can not compete will big manufacturers with lower prices. I am sure you are not ripped off by Jolla. It is probably the other way around. Not sure investors has got all money back from selling the phones yet.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Berlin
well, so just get a used one, eather here, or elsewhere on the net. Fortunately jolla has a replacable battery, so that can be easyly replaced in case the original one doesn't work no more.

I myself tend to be opposed to always shorter and shorter lifecycles of products und try just keep my things without replacing 'em every year or so.

I 'm still very impress when i think of what could be done with my first computer - a sinclair ZX-spectrum with a Z80 an 16/ 48k of memory! And, most notably how fast that think came on. So sometimes I think that resources could be used better in software optimization rather than new hardware. That is optimization, not more and more funcions. Why not stick to what one's got? It's often been said that noone needs1 billion of "new" apps. And personaly I don't want to search new apps every time I change phones (first palm, than symbian, than sfos).

So to make things short: just get a used jolla.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to alfredquack For This Useful Post:
Thank for the answers. And just to reply to some:

- I do not need faster hardware, but as others I do not wan't to pay 250 for outdated hardware (especially in terms of display readability)
- used ones are not really available as the market is quite small
- spare battery is a joke as there is not possibility to buy one

As for the solution (maybe only temporarily):

I ordered a Ubuntu Phone (Aquaris e 4.5) for 130 (so half the price of the Jolla).

The Following User Says Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Just a few notes:

Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
- I do not need faster hardware, but as others I do not wan't to pay 250 for outdated hardware (especially in terms of display readability)
- used ones are not really available as the market is quite small
Yes, there are plenty of used ones. Just check Finnish resell websites (like huuto.net) - last time I checked (few months ago), you could get one for less than 100EUR. I don't live anywhere near Finland, but sending it to other countries was no problem.

- spare battery is a joke as there is not possibility to buy one
Yes, there is. I am now happily using two batteries in my Jolla and I'm thinking of getting a 3rd one. The new one was for under 10EUR and it works better than the current official one (as it is brand new, unlike the other one).

As for the solution (maybe only temporarily):

I ordered a Ubuntu Phone (Aquaris e 4.5) for 130 (so half the price of the Jolla).
Good luck with that choice. It wouldn't be me first - or even a second or third - choice because of Ubuntu Touch (many, many reasons why not) and the lack of 4G. If not for another Jolla, I would go for the Nexus 4/5 and run either SailfishOS, LuneOS, or Plasma Phone on it.

But to each his own, so I hope you'll like it!

EDIT: Corrected Nexus 5 to Nexus 4/5, as itdoesntmatt pointed out.

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-09-20 at 09:52.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
what are reason against ubuntu phone? i have nexud 5 but lune os isn not available yet!

ps: are there some news about the really wanted implementation of your cover patch ?

The Following User Says Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
what are reason against ubuntu phone? i have nexud 5 but lune os isn not available yet!

ps: are there some news about the really wanted implementation of your cover patch ?
Ah, sorry, I mistook Nexus 4 for Nexus 5.

And the reasons? Mind that they are just my opinion:
  • Canonical and their attitude towards the rest of the Linux/FOSS world. This is one good example. I do not want to support such attitude.
  • Mir (related to the previous point)
  • No multitasking
  • Unintuitive design (I am complaining about SailfishOS 2.0, but that's nothing compared to UT's side and bottom swipes).
  • Alarm doesn't go off when the phone is turned off.
  • The focus on Web apps and its effect on the native app situation.
  • Last time I heard, it was nowhere near the functionality completion or optimization of SailfishOS.
  • After the Ubuntu Edge con and the issue with Ubuntu (Desktop) automatically sending your searches to Amazon for search suggestions, I wouldn't rely on it for my data/privacy.

Don't give me wrong, Ubuntu Touch may have changed a lot since I last saw it and I may be pleasantly surprised and even change my opinion, but some of the aforementioned things are crucial for someone coming from the Maemo/Linux world. I used to be a Ubuntu (Desktop) user many years ago, but I'm glad I left.

PS: Still no progress on the patch, sorry. I'm looking into some other things that need fixing for my use case, but I'd definitely like to get back to it.

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-09-20 at 10:15.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
the article luckly said that canonical behaviour have been improved..and now they collaborate actively. i understand however that their previous behaviour was so bad. but now seems better

The Following User Says Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Berlin
so did I, it's not to complicated to find a used Jolla and there are even some tohkbd's out there, despite the relativly small market share.

nexus 5 was one option I considered to have a closer look into, but why get clone where one has to do some adjustment, when you can have the original?

And again, as pointed out before, it's the whole picture that matters. A fast (modern hardware) phone with a lousy OS ist still a lousy phone altogether. Shure a tractor has lot's of power, but do you want to drive it to work every day, or on the autobahn?

Tags
jolla phone