Active Topics

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Just spotted this. Looks interresting, and well, all most too good to be true. 100% open source hardware and software.

https://necunos.com/mobile/
Too good? Really? NXP i.MX6 CPU. Cortex A9, you know, the one which was kinda slow in the N9 already. Even Purism tried really hard for the slightly less antique MX8 for the Librem 5 (and succeeded).

I'm not asking for the latest greatest, but a 64 bit cpu with some A72 cores, or otherwise web browsing will simply be slow.

On the OS-front they've said next to nothing. What if they present something like Tizen, with "HTML5 apps"-dreck? (On those Cortex A9 cores )

Last but not least: "read the blog", but no RSS/Atom feed anywhere.

Meh. While I don't wear a tinfoil hat, I think I am part of their target audience. Still, I'm unconvinced at best.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
There must be a glitch in the matrix, because I'm getting some serious deja vu from that whole Turing campaign.

Very skeptical about this, but if more than one company manages to ship a viable open and privacy focused smartphone using the same chipset, it can only be good for everyone else using that chipset. Could be really positive!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
To clarify [...]
Sorry, "obviously" was maybe a bit too strong a word. Wanted to point out that as nothing is known yet (starting developpement based on an idea, or production started and orders now opened), it is too early to even ask if there is a point to follow them.

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Too good? Really? NXP i.MX6 CPU. Cortex A9, you know, the one which was kinda slow in the N9 already.
Looks like the N9 had a single Cortex A8 (OMPA3630) whereas this is a quad core Cortex A9 (bigger pipeline, out of order execution, and other improvements according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar..._ARMv7-A_cores) which is quite a big difference.
Not yet a high end iMx8 nor a heavy CPU that can be found in Android's latest, but should still be better than the old time of N9.

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
There must be a glitch in the matrix, because I'm getting some serious deja vu from that whole Turing campaign.
The biggest difference here is that they are not using as much buzzwords as possible, which makes this a lot more possible (iMx6 can be purchased easily in small orders, not like the things TRI "promised").

Waiting eagerly for locusf to present the project details.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 159 | Thanked: 341 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Sorry people, not much to comment on but that I have worked on RCM and in NecunoS for a period of time.

Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
Obviously:

By the way, I missed the twitter feed the first time : https://twitter.com/necunoscom
And found this pdf document on their website : https://necunos.com/rcm.pdf with this name on it :

We know someone in this community with this name, mostly by is nickname locusf.
There is an old tweet containing the name of necunoscom that he retweeted so could really be from him.

That would also explain why the people who retweeted the 2 tweets from the account of necuno are from the Nemo community.

At least we have now an idea of who is being it, so may not be as big a trap as other were. We'll see what they propose in the future, but it looks like with a CPU that old that they only target people like on this forum, which so far lead to projects in small quantity with small team, so high price regarding performances and big delays. But would be glad to be wrong !

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to locusf For This Useful Post:
I noticed the tweet, and also found that locusf was involved.
So, I am interrested, most for the reasons that its open source, both in hardware, and software. And that a community member is involved - may I add, for me, a highly respected member. And I will absolutely join, wether high, middle or low- end hardware specs.
Will be interresting with a price-tag, that, for me, might slow down how fast I can make a purchase.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
WTF? iphone 4 without the button

Anyhow, not interested in another nothing but blablabla privacy blabla open blablabla......

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
WTF? iphone 4 without the button

Anyhow, not interested in another nothing but blablabla privacy blabla open blablabla......
Thats about the worst comparison, like, ever.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
Yes, that is a common euphemism for "unusable in the real world".

But some people like it

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Thats about the worst comparison, like, ever.
I was wondering about that too. I 'thanked' that post for the second sentence, not the first.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
hardly.......... since there is nothing to compare but a few buzz words

Anyway, IMO, what the world need is a commercially successful 3rd OS first and then we can dream from that onwards. Otherwise we will always end up with useless device that no day to day service will support.

The Following User Says Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post: