Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I think I will upload an updated version of the big image file with various hacks in place once I have the testing packages in Extras. I will then be able to push a new set of packages into Extras-testing with a bunch of small fixes and maybe a new image...

The updated image is fast, but it still has no sound...

If I were to post a new image, what would people want? I think I should remove Iceweasel and epiphany-browser, since the in-browser Java applet viewers seem broken anyway and the N900 browser is far superior. OpenOffice now works again, and GIMP is great. I guess I should include samba support, along with a good network browser...

My oh my, this Fremantle "QA" process is slow.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
i would suggest to leave the browsers out.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2009 @ NE-Scotland
Thank you very much for such application. It is simply great! I could not believe my eyes yesterday when I first launched the LXDE session.
The openoffice is not slower than the portable version I am using on the desktop.
I have been looking in the repository and I found what I was looking for: latex, R and even other less common softwares that I use for work.
I guess that to install the software it is enough to do apt-get install [package name]. Is there any space limit?
Thank you again! I will be back once I understand a little bit more how it works, because my 2010-wish would be to have also fedora running...

Originally Posted by qole View Post
GConf errors solved by copying /etc/gconf and /etc/gconf2xsettings.d directories to the chroot. Doesn't fix pulseaudio, however.
Great. that fixes the DBUS connect problems that prevented apps like gnumeric and kchmviewer from being launched on the hildon desktop with debbie.

Please don't forget we need to bring back the control to switch apps to/from fullscreen.

Best,

--denis

The Following User Says Thank You to delaroca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
I wouldn't mind having a larger image, say 3 GB, just to have a bit more room to grow.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

You can increase image size:

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero bs=1048576 count=500 >> /home/user/MyDocs/debian-m5-v2.img.ext2
losetup /dev/loop0 /home/user/MyDocs/debian-m5-v2.img.ext2
resize2fs /dev/loop0
Preferably do it after a reboot, to make sure nothing is mounted, since closechroot does not always work.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by Matan View Post

Code:
resize2fs /dev/loop0
Preferably do it after a reboot, to make sure nothing is mounted, since closechroot does not always work.
Ah, well, if that is the case, leaving it at 2 GB is fine.

By the way, I did a full apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. Surprisingly, OOo did not crash at load time, but it did get quite a bit slower and the buttons had no graphics. So, I went back to the stock image for now.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
After apt-get update + upgrade I have no icon buttons too. Still quick though. I am not sure if it's better to keep or revert.

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
Qole, I think you can drop the browsers, plus that will leave room for other apps. I have been playing with kstars and it run quite well on the n900. SImple install, looks OK (perhaps a little small, but it allows zoom), and otherwise fully functional. Thanks for all the work on this. It is bringing me back to my love of Linux... and I can take it anywhere!

Originally Posted by Matan View Post

Code:
resize2fs /dev/loop0
Couldn't this stuff be an option in the installer? I'm sure quite a few people would like more space, and the default image would be kept smaller.

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze