Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The problem is that unless Sun gives you explicit permission, it is not legal to host the Sun embedded JRE. That is so frustrating to me! They have compiled it, it is available, but they've hobbled it (90 day expiry) and don't allow redistribution.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
From the contact I've had, and my parsing of all the relevant text available at java.sun.com, I think there is sufficient penumbra to honestly consider my N900 "deployment" to be free from royalty licensing - as per their definition of "general use systems"...much like the free deployment of the standard JRE on x86/x64 linux/doze systems.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Frankfurt, Germany
Dak, I'd be very interested in your .deb. I could probably come up with something similar, but why duplicate efforts?
If legality is a problem, couldn't you provide a .deb that would require the user to supply the actual jre and then just install it in the right places and add your symlinks and scripts?

Couldn't be possible to make a script that download, install & configure it all avoiding any legal problem?

Manul, BLC et al

I think this thread has run its course (Yes! Java on the N900 is possible!), so I'm going to leave it and continue the discussion here

The Following User Says Thank You to Dak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Frankfurt, Germany
Thanks for the pointer, Dak, I had somehow managed to miss that thread completely.

to those developing java-if its ever 'finished' and free+safe to install, what I am wondering is if java webpages would run only in the default n900 browser, or if firefox and opera would also be supported?

I ask this as I often use firefox, its slow at the moment, but it displays pages identically to a pc browser, with content (eg webpage banners/ads) that the n900s built in browser is oftem missing. thanks, I hope the n900 is continually supported by the community

I've folled the SE installing guide by dak but I still get a " java not found" messsage. Seems like the symlink isn't correct. first I extracted the ejre File in MyDocs and lost the flags so I reextraced it in /opt/java like dak said. Now the Flags are correct but the syymlink is still pointing to /MyDocs isn't? How can I overwrite it??
Can anybody help me to run this s**t of piece?

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ North-west, UK
Just delete the sym. link and make it again with the new location.

Ok thanks,
do you mind posting the commands that would be great. I dont want to add insult to injury. One Note, when I run the jarFile as User I got a failed to load Main-Class manifest exception. Run it as Sudo got a java not found exception. Thats weird.