Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
no need to be rude! it was just my vote!
Apologies for being insulting, but know that your vote is of less than stellar concern for pretty much all the companies, developers and users.

Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
Its data intensive on the networks.

Again it adds to its exclusivity. Good on them if they can pull it off.
Yes, it is bandwidth-hungry (for any decent quality vicall), but to eliminate calls for any connection other than WiFi seems like a heckuva harsh limitation to impose.

Exclusivity? Perhaps. I don't know how exclusive they'll feel when I'm picnicking in the park with my kids and vidcalling my folks, while they're SOL coz there's no WiFi hotspots nearby and all those kodak moments are passing them by. I guess they can lug around a MiFi or something....yet more expense...

Anyway, Apple's vidcall limitation is only a software issue. If things change they can upgrade "Face Time" to use any data connection.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
and why doesnt ford just make one model of car and levis only one style of jeans

geez, just think about it for a minute.

nokia is way bigger than just the midrange american smartphone market just like ford is way bigger than the american midsize sedan market.

do you really think nokia would make more money if they only made one phone?
I never said Nokia should make one phone. I said Nokia should make one flagship. The n900 has a better processor than the n8 but the n8 has the better camera. Why can't Nokia have that one device that is the best of everything they can put out

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nosa101 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dak View Post
Yes, it is bandwidth-hungry (for any decent quality vicall), but to eliminate calls for any connection other than WiFi seems like a heckuva harsh limitation to impose.

Exclusivity? Perhaps. I don't know how exclusive they'll feel when I'm picnicking in the park with my kids and vidcalling my folks, while they're SOL coz there's no WiFi hotspots nearby and all those kodak moments are passing them by. I guess they can lug around a MiFi or something....yet more expense...

Anyway, Apple's vidcall limitation is only a software issue. If things change they can upgrade "Face Time" to use any data connection.
iirc it's actualy cheaper to cary video calls for the operator than voice.. there was some blurb about it when 3 first launched.

Surely the place for wifi only video calling would have been the ipad?

Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
I never said Nokia should make one phone. I said Nokia should make one flagship. The n900 has a better processor than the n8 but the n8 has the better camera. Why can't Nokia have that one device that is the best of everything they can put out
Because it would be super expensive? don't forget that apple logo comands quite a price premium

Last edited by Kingsley; 2010-06-07 at 22:51.

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ 'Nam
I get what your saying. And its simple really why not just build the best hardware phone you can and stop splitting it between a couple different phone. I.E. best Nokia phone with a 8 mp cam than a best messaging phone than a best this and best that why not just one mega kick *** phone? How hard would that be?

The n900 can only so video calls to users with the latest skype client or other n900s. That's pretty exclusive

#imjussayin

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ 'Nam
The n900 can only so video calls to users with the latest skype client or other n900s. That's pretty exclusive

#imjussayin
Gtalk and SIP that includes video calling so thats kinda 3

#imjussayin
Skype is pretty darned popular over multiple platforms...and free...exclusivity? not so much.

Using reliable open protocols and an efficient open codec will greatly streamline vidcalls and ease bandwidth congestion.

Originally Posted by Dak View Post
Skype is pretty darned popular over multiple platforms...and free...exclusivity? not so much.

Using reliable open protocols and an efficient open codec will greatly streamline vidcalls and ease bandwidth congestion.
You cant do video chats on a mac or Linux with the n900. That's a lot of excluded people

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
I had a suspicion you'd chew someone out for taking a stance like that. Good job on setting up that straw man, it sure was hard to knock down.
Oh so, thats why the Nokia 770, N800, N810, N900, Archos PMA400 other such niche devices had such great support.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Oh oh, right.

Freedom = Slavery

I think that sums up your statement.
Delusional appreciation for Nokia's closed "open source" practices, typical symptom of Stockholm syndrome.

Open source/Linux promoters always talk about free software and the benefits of having an own understanding of software.
In actuality most of them aren't doing anything useful with their knowledge, it isn't paying the bills for anyone, it is just providing a free platform for a few basement dwellers and some people who don't want to pay for paid alternatives.

These promoters are analogous to the so-called experts who think they know better than their doctors just because they have access to Wikipedia.

That is until they realize that developing is practically a job and requires pay.

The Following User Says Thank You to PradaBrada For This Useful Post:

Tags
can you, canitouchuthere, hear me now, iphone 4, itoilet paper, waste of money, waste of time, whining, worstthreadever