Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
The question is...why Russia first?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-06-02 at 19:43.

Originally Posted by ejcrashed View Post
Its a Debian based Phone-OS, with those specs, without that dalvik-crap running on top of the kernel it should run like a beauty, just look at Harmattan on the N9, every person who has handled my N9 has talked about how smooth it works and how nice it multitasks.

I'm thinking the community can do a lot with a device like that.
And you already know what the communities will make as their first priority... Android.

As for Samsung, good on them. It is about bloody time

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I don't know. I haven't followed Tizen too close lately. Did it make the move to Wayland already?
They planned it at least. Intel is one of the major drivers behind Wayland and they participate in Tizen as well:

https://www.tizen.org/events/present...land-and-ofono

I didn't follow the progress though, so I don't know what the current status is really.

UPDATE:

Looks like Tizen 3.0 uses Wayland by default.

Last edited by shmerl; 2014-06-02 at 20:00.

Since the device is new, I'd guess they are using Tizen 3 there. So there are good chances it comes with Wayland.

By the way, is Tizen UI fully open?

Last edited by shmerl; 2014-06-02 at 20:04.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
http://www.tizenexperts.com/wp-conte...Features-3.jpg

Since the device is new, I'd guess they are using Tizen 3 there. So there are good chances it comes with Wayland.

By the way, is Tizen UI fully open?
Doubt that. I think its pretty closed like the rest of them. Define fully open. You have the source and can sell it ?

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-06-02 at 20:27.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Costa RIca
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Why is that so many think: "Oooh it's teh Debian-based, it's teh l337!", there's so many more components to an entire sw stack.
Also, one doesn't have to run the dalvik runtime on Sailfish, it's not like it's seared irreversibly into it's DNA, nice to have around but.
Even Sammy agrees, having lately embraced one for Tizen...
Debian, Redhat, whatever... i don't really care about the dist bias as long as it is linux and we can tinker with it. Tizen may not be the oil snake of phone-linuxes, but at least they are pursuing new techs that are relevant (like Wayland).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ejcrashed For This Useful Post:
Oil snake?

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Costa RIca
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Oil snake?
Snake Oil, hahahaha, not a native english speaker here..., well. you get the idea, i know Tizen may have some flaws, Sailfish has them too, and i love Mer and everything around it, but without the push of big money things move very slow...

The Following User Says Thank You to ejcrashed For This Useful Post:
Agreed. It will be very interesting to see sail, tiz, ff and ub to evolve and how and in what way they are pushed into market.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by ejcrashed View Post
Debian, Redhat, whatever... i don't really care about the dist bias as long as it is linux and we can tinker with it. Tizen may be the oil snake of phone-linuxes, but at least they are pursuing new techs that are relevant (like Wayland).
True. 10char

Tags
clunky, death rules, mike_tizen, titzen, tizen == kebab, tizen rules, tizen_day, tjamtjung, yet still sucks, zen and tizen