Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I understand that 4 != 5. But it's also my understanding that scrapping Elephanta is what led to the numbering disconnect. I forget the details. But I could be incorrect; sorry if so.
OS2005
OS2006 Bora = Maemo 3
OS2007 Chinook = Maemo 4
OS2008 Diablo = Maemo 4.1
Elephanta = ???
(OS2009) Fremantle = Maemo 5
(OS2010) Harmattan = Maemo 6

I don't think Elephanta caused the disconnect, they are purely going off device iterations, and both the 770 and N8x0s got two (OS2005/6, Chinook/Diablo).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Well given recent articles it seems Nokia is open to carriers brand the device. Of course for our community it wouldn't last long anyway. As long as they don't make any.. physical modifications.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Well given recent articles it seems Nokia is open to carriers brand the device. Of course for our community it wouldn't last long anyway. As long as they don't make any.. physical modifications.
YES! if the device is somehow impaired permanently I will definitely opt for an unlocked one instead of the subsidized one...

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Caribbean
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I've said this numerous times so please forgive the repeat:

Nokia TRIED to change the US model. Competitors saw an opportunity to grab market share as Nokia worked toward a more open, retail-based service. The effort worked against Nokia and in favor of LG, Samsung, Moto, et al.

Cracking the crazy US market would take more than Nokia-- it would take the combined effort of every single manufacturer getting on the same page and standing tough (or the FCC and FTC doing their jobs). I don't see that happening.
This is all true. And it bears repeating. People should know Nokia's history.
I think it makes it all the more admirable (and amazing )that Nokia continues to address the U.S. market with their ideologies intact.
What other handheld device manufacturer has the means & ways to tell the U.S. carriers, Fxxx Yxx!!?

Last edited by kenny; 2009-09-12 at 23:23.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Ideologies? Rather doubt it....

Nokia has invested heavily in its production system, which relies largely on being able to use the same parts between different models as much as possible. They do not want to have 100 different chassis variants for the plethora of operators out there yelling for their own.

The companies most successful in the US market don't have this problem, for them it's completely ok to produce one exclusive model for one operator, as it guarantees them sales they wouldn't otherwise get. Competing like this would likely cost Nokia more money than it would gain.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
...Nokia continues to address the U.S. market with their ideologies intact.
Well, lets hope they really are. And if they really are following an ideology, that they continue to do so.

What other handheld device manufacturer has the means & ways to tell the U.S. carriers, Fxxx Yxx!!?
Obviously, Apple. Any US carrier CEO would commit hari kari for an iPhone exclusive now.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
This is all true. And it bears repeating. People should know Nokia's history.
I think it makes it all the more admirable (and amazing )that Nokia continues to address the U.S. market with their ideologies intact.
It looks like Nokia are ready to allow carriers to customize the N900. Better buy one quick!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@ralphb: as long as they don't employ drm measures to avoid OS modifications, it should be reversible..

Tags
carrier, n900, networks, nokia v. cell carrier war, operator, telco