Notices

Hi all,

If you go to contacts, settings, and tap on voicemail number, you will see a list of the voicemail numbers of one or different providers (if you ever inserted more than one SIM card in the N900), and you can also write a new number and save it. However, it seems impossible to get rid of any of these numbers, for example, if you mistyped one. You can only add new numbers. Does anybody know how to clear the voicemail number list? I've deleted the Voicemail contact but when you go again to contacts, settings, the full list of numbers is there. Any idea? As always, I suppose it is only a Linux config file that must be edited, but I don't know how to find it.

Best regards,
Iker.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ikerrg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
same issue here , just discovers the feature and promptly make 4 mistakes and now am living with the irritation of being reminded every time I dial my voice mail.

The Following User Says Thank You to timwatt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by timwatt View Post
same issue here , just discovers the feature and promptly make 4 mistakes and now am living with the irritation of being reminded every time I dial my voice mail.
Are you sure the list of different voicemail numbers appears when dialing your voice mail? For me it only appears in contacts, settings. When I tap on voicemail number and select a number, a Voicemail contact is created in the contacts (using its own icon) and then this is the only number I use. However, the number list appearing in contacts-settings is annoying me because I cannot delete any number!!

Any help on this? Does anybody know where the contacts app stores the user files? Maybe our stupid list is there.

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to ikerrg For This Useful Post:
Well, it is said that when you want to do something right, you must do it yourself . It has not been easy to find (grep command is extremely slow searching inside all the files in N900). I decided to backup my N900 data using the included backup application. It generates several zipfiles. Then it is easy to find a given string using windows inside all the extracted backup files (or creating a .iso compilation and searching inside the created file).
The configuration file for the voicemail number list is \etc\osso-af-init\gconf-dir\apps\osso-addressbook\%gconf.xml

You can edit it using vi or leafpad (recommended) and remove the lines corresponding to the phone numbers you what to get rid of (starting in <li and ending in </li> for every number).

What I still don't understand is why I cannot write whatever description of the network operator after its code, i.e. 21407;movistar or 21406;pepephone. It is automatically changed or deleted by the system after editing the file, maybe because it is re-read from the SIM card. Any suggestion?

Hope this helps to other people who want to clean their voicemail number list

Cheers,
Iker

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ikerrg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by ikerrg View Post
The configuration file for the voicemail number list is \etc\osso-af-init\gconf-dir\apps\osso-addressbook\%gconf.xml

You can edit it using vi or leafpad
Many thanks for finding this file. I think that gconftool should be used to edit that, rather than editing it "raw" in a text editor. Unfortunately I don't know the exact syntax - can someone post it?

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
is there a simple way

The Following User Says Thank You to conspirest For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by ikerrg View Post

You can edit it using vi or leafpad (recommended) and remove the lines corresponding to the phone numbers you what to get rid of (starting in <li and ending in </li> for every number).
Big thanks for that suggestion. That cleared the voice numbers list for the "Voicemail" contact entry in as well as in Contacts -> Settings -> Voicemail number.

Unfortunately, what it has not done is change the voicemail for the Phone application. I missed a call and a "Voicemail" entry appeared on the recent calls list. Clicking that entry brings up a voicemail number from a SIM card I put in the phone once, a year ago, and deleted from the list using the above method.

The issue is 100% reproducible. I delete the entry from the recent calls list, check the gconf file as per above (the offending number is not there!), reboot the phone a million times, but the next time I miss a call and try to call back, the Phone app shows the damn wrong voicemail number again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Real nice finding.

Not that it really annoyed me, but I could clear up some older voicemail numbers

You do not need to edit the file directly, but may also use gconftool.
To read:
Code:
gconftool -g /apps/osso-addressbook/voicemail-numbers
To write:
Code:
gconftool s /apps/osso-addressbook/voicemail-numbers --type=list --list-type=string [PhoneNumber;MccMnc;ProviderName,...]
But maybe file editing is easier
BUT remember to reboot phone immediately or do
gconftool --shutdown; killall gconfd-2; gconftool --spawn
(as otherwise the editing may get overwritten by another change to that gconf directory by another app)

@pichlo
Did you also go to phonebook/settings/voicemail-number and selected the right (current) number and saved? Else you will always see the last used voicemail-number.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2014-07-24 at 21:42.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Thanks for the hint. Gconftool shows only one voicemail number, the correct one. Yet the Phone app behaves as described above.

I've just noticed another thing. I tried calling my voicemail. Opened Phone, clicked "Select contact"... the Voicemail entry did not show up, although it does show up in Contacts when opened standalone. Is that normal?

Next, still in Phone, I clicked "Dialling pad". Pressing and holding 1 correctly dials my voicemail (the right one), but afterwards it shows up on the recent calls list only as a number, i.e. it is not recognized as Voicemail.

I've purged all recent calls and all but 4 recent SMS conversations, vacuumed /home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger/el-v1.db and killed all processes that used it, according to lsof (they promptly restarted on their own). Yet the file is still 87 kB long and when inspected with hexedit, contains entries such as the old, wrong voicemail number as well as a bunch of names and numbers I have never called and do not recognize at all. Presumably leftovers after my phone's previous user. Could that be somehow connected?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@pichlo
Try the following:
delete Voicemail from contacts
go to phone/settings/voicemail-number, select the (only) entry
check that in phone/select contact/voicemail you see correct number
try again

The occurring that only number is displayed is due to you have your voicemail number stored in another contact in your addressbook,.so the app does not know which to show and displays just number (fine to me, as I have saved it also into a contact; remember: voicemail is not a contact).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post: