Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by slender View Post
offtopic,
Nokia has record on supporting some of itīs models.
http://hunajatehdas.net/nokia/firmware/en/
Saying Nokia doesnīt support at all might be true on some devices, but not on all.
I'm not sure how that relates to Maemo getting pooped on repeatedly and the Internet Tablet line and customers getting the shoddy treatment over the years. :P
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by Luke-Jr View Post
By the time people are using Qt 4.7, I doubt anyone will still be using Maemo. RHEL 6 was just released-- with only Qt 4.6. Debian 6 is just around the corner-- also with Qt 4.6. Looks like Qt 4.7 won't be a viable platform for about 3 more years.
People are using Qt 4.7 now.
Qt 4.7 is binary compatible with 4.6.
A few distributions thate aren't shipping 4.7 yet doesn't mean much

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I'm not sure how that relates to Maemo getting pooped on repeatedly and the Internet Tablet line and customers getting the shoddy treatment over the years. :P
Just to remind people that iPhone is not one and only which is getting(or got) updates as like Apple had miracelously invented whole fw update scheme. Just FYI ,nothing else.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
@qwazix: Why do you say so? Didn't you read the post on the first page with the comments about the meeting from the developer of 'instinctiv'? It was clear enough wasn't it? Even though I have no idea who he is I took it that he was a Nokia developer, right? Besides, the reaction from Andre Klapper sort of verified it, right?
i did read the whole thread. For me it is still not a fact that nokia finished support for the N900. It's probable but not a fact. Let's not mislead.

btw I went into a phone store and they told me that after nokia said n900 was discontinued causing them to sell their display device, they received a new batch with a higher price tag... strange...
________
ROLL A JOINT

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 53 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brooksville, Florida
Originally Posted by jflatt View Post
People are using Qt 4.7 now.
Qt 4.7 is binary compatible with 4.6.
A few distributions thate aren't shipping 4.7 yet doesn't mean much
RedHat and Debian aren't a mere "few distributions", they're the two major distributions that everything else (except niche distros like Gentoo) is based on. The fact that Qt 4.7 is binary compatible with 4.6 (but NOT vice-versa) is yet even more reason developers should target 4.6, not 4.7. Qt 4.6 apps will run anywhere (including Maemo), but Qt 4.7 apps will only run on niche future operating systems for the next 3 years. So, if someone is developing a complex app targetting release 3 years from now, Qt 4.7 makes good sense, and they don't care about Maemo. But if they want widespread use before then, Qt 4.6 is the way.

Apple and Google, by comparison, tend to reach out to developers to point out that they're available to assist with these major value-add applications and help them make sure their apps work better right away.
apple and google, are not stuck with an OS that they deemed dead either.

do you see apple continue to update their MacOS9 ??

Btw i still wonder why meego has a RPM mgmt system, when the mighty debian always was at ease.. Now I have to install Fedora/ Suse to relearn everything

The Following User Says Thank You to tusharmax For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
Comment on insinctiv

Sorry i have not read the whole thread its late here and its long. So ignore me if someone has made a comments that overrides this one.

But as for the developers being told to not develop for maemo. I have to wonder how that was worded.

Given everything we have been told in the past from Nokia.
And assuming I had faith in their desire and ability to stick with it (currently I do not but would hope a Nokia employee dose)

If a developer asked me for advice on the Maemo development.

it would be at the moment you would be better of developing for Meego then once you have it ready for consumer use back port it to Maemo.

Everything we have been sold indicates this is what Nokia expects. Development in QT is supposed to make this very easy.

And if Nokia plans to go all out on Meego this will be the revenue source that allows you to profit from your app.

People in Nokia are prolly being told to encourage this sort of development strategy.

So on goes my wishful thinking hat.

"Looks like the communications company failed to communicate somewhere and Instinctiv got the wrong message."

Hat off.

"Time to get the pitch forks folks."

I'm not sure that really changes the point or the conversation much at all, splitting hairs like that.
Yeah, I'm a nit picker, sue me ;-)

His point still stands that he was happy enough with the support he's gotten so far. (Mind you, I don't agree with what he thinks to be good support, but if you're going to reply to him you should at least make an effort to present a valid counterpoint instead of a distracted irrelevant one).
Having given up when PR1.1 was current I don't feel qualified to comment on the quality of the support, but the length of it is an entirely objective matter. If there's no PR1.4 (and it really doesn't look like there will be), the N900 had the shortest maintenance period of all Maemo devices.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
mr. Juszkiewicz, the reporter of this so called WONTFIX bug due to "Nokia ending Maemo support" has chosen an unfortunate topic for his mood making act.

Skype video call works ever since PR1.2

In cases it won't work you may as well go blame Skype.

If it is possible making 2 way video calls out of a car in the Vietnamese countryside with full continuous high quality sound, then tell me what exactly is not working?
(intercontinental to latest Windows Skype Client)

If it is now finally possible to make 2 way video calls to an OSX pc running the recently released 5.0.0.6378,

And IF 2 way video call would still not be possible to desktop Linux, Android, IOs at present, then tell me which party would have to get its act together? Nokia or Skype.

Again: this thread is based on a wrong "bug" example to illustrate how pittyful we are with "Nokia discontinuing Maemo support"

Even if Nokia was to discontinue Meamo support, the QT story would help extend its life bringing over effortles ports of new programs.

Some people should get out once in a while and if possible without Nokia N900.
When they are used to that feeling, they may go out with N900 to sense the difference and learn to be happy with what they already have.

(typed on N900 because my OSX hanging due to starting HD failure)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:

Tags
fat lady, hardly knew ya, ignore list, needs locking, troll party, trollercoaster, trolololo, wawawaaaa., whinge fest