Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
So, worst case scenario, Jolla (the company) goes bust and Sailfish is unsupported. Users are left with unsupported phones.

How do we make sure these phones don't end up as landfill?

Suggestion: install Android.

Question: How?

Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Well to be honest...
While I never understood why everybody says the Jolla Hardware is outdated, because as long as a modern system runs fine on the hardware it isn't outdated in my opinion, it is quit obvious, that you have no fun to use a Jolla phone with the resourceeater named Android.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
i think i will prefer to install clementoni os ( computer game educational) or brick my device than install android.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Considering that the only thing that differentiates the Jolla hardware from a crappy outdated Android phone is the fact that it can run a supported/official build of Sailfish OS, running Android on it just does not make sense.

Well, there is also the TOH interface but I doubt Android would be able to make use of it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
The Jolla phone and tablet are both devices with fully supported android driver blobs. So both should be fine running AOSP.

Jolla phone would be 4.1.2 and Tablet 4.4.4 I guess.

Android image for at least tablet was mentioned yesterday as a rescue item in community meeting yesterday.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
OK so let's assume the worst and the lights go out on Sailfish. That means the last OS update for my Jolla purchased in November 2013 was about a month ago. Compare that to my daughter's Android tablet bought in March 2015 that received the last update in June.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I think we're missing the point.

I've kept my Jolla in the off chance the bugs that stop me from using it are fixed at some point. If they are never to be fixed, the best case scenario, at no cost to myself is that I put Android on it and use it as a backup phone. It's very good for that purpose as I've two batteries (lucky me) and the hardware for running Android should be perfectly adequate also.

I wasn't intending this thread to be a debate over the merits of keeping Sailfish on there or a rant about the lack of updates from whatever Android based hardware company. Irrelevant.

So, how do we get AOSP on there or CyanogenMod or whatever? I don't generally follow all the XDA modders forums and until recent events have had no desire to flash a phone with a custom ROM. I was hoping we could get this in place while we might still be able to, with Jolla's assistance if possible, just in case.

Expect the best, plan for the worst.

Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I've kept my Jolla in the off chance the bugs that stop me from using it are fixed at some point.
That means you are not using it, if I get it right.

If they are never to be fixed, the best case scenario, at no cost to myself is that I put Android on it and use it as a backup phone.
No. The best case scenario, at a profit to you, is to sell it to someone who will want it. With Sailfish on it.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That means you are not using it, if I get it right.
Right. I don't use it. Main phone is a Sony Z1c. The Jolla is incapable of a number of business critical functions for me so it's relegated to being a backup phone should my main phone stop working.

If Jolla fix the few things that are broken, then I'd be back using my Jolla instead and the Z1c would be my backup phone.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
No. The best case scenario, at a profit to you, is to sell it to someone who will want it. With Sailfish on it.
No. I'd then have to buy another backup phone probably costing more than the price achievable for an low spec phone with an abandoned OS.

I realise what I'm suggesting - installing an OS other than Sailfish - is anathema to you but it's not to others who will be stuck with an unsupported OS if it all goes tits up.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I realise what I'm suggesting - installing an OS other than Sailfish - is anathema to you but it's not to others who will be stuck with an unsupported OS if it all goes tits up.
I did not suggest what I suggested for ideological reasons. You should already know me enough to know that I am far from that.

My suggestion was purely pragmatic. Jolla clearly does not work for you. You do not use it and only keep it in the hope that the situation may change. Well, then, if it is not going to change, then the best way forward is to pass it on. I do not believe that you have only one spare and even if, the cost of a cheap new Android phone for a spare is about a half of what you get for a second-hand Jolla. Especially once (if?) it becomes a collector's item.

I am not against installing an other OS, only suggesting that it is more hassle than it is worth. It is something you do when you are passionate about it (like all those folks installing Sailfish on Android devices) but I do not believe you are so passionate about Android to slap it on a Jolla. Unless you hate the Jolla so much and want to give it what it deserves. But then, a big hammer would work better, IMO

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: