Holy **** Benson, that eyetap looks freaking awesome!

Thaat it does; of course, most of the really cool applications require a lot more iron than an rx-51 to do real-time, and specialized OS, too.

Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
codeMonkey: lol. I doubt that'll be happening anytime soon.
They're on the way.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...zix_920av.html

check two of the options listed

i have been toying with this idea mentally for years, but the issue is always bump into is not one out output, but one of input.

anything thats not a keyboard is basically to imprecise. and any kind of keyboard like input is to bulky and hard to use at a moments notice.

Seen you're talking about FOSS for the 'pc part' you might also consider other OMAP35x things like the pandora (down the road you should be able to get the pcb only)/or the beagleboard.
While it are only rumours, the N900 should be using a similar architecture but things like the beagleboard seam like a fun place to start.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...zix_920av.html

check two of the options listed

i have been toying with this idea mentally for years, but the issue is always bump into is not one out output, but one of input.

anything thats not a keyboard is basically to imprecise. and any kind of keyboard like input is to bulky and hard to use at a moments notice.
Twiddler and similar seem like the main options at present, but there's a really cool glove-input scheme called the KITTY (youtube) that leverages one's existing typing skills. While it's rather non-intrusive (you can wear the gloves (or finger-spirals, in late models) all the time), I'm a bit concerned about durability if you do; on the positive side, they should be quite affordable to replace.

Another option I'd seen, but can't find, is a split QWERTY where you kind of half- or fully-cross your arms to type. You could mount one half on the bottom of each wrist (spacebar toward hand), or mount them on your upper arms. I still think the best notion in this line is a single half-board mounted on the back of the right forearm.

And there's always plain bluetooth or USB keyboards in any size from 5.5" thumbboards up to fullsize; the former can be carried in a pocket and used just as conveniently as a standalone pocketable device is now.

Of course, most computer use involves pointing as well as keyboard input, and I haven't seen anything that seemed like a good wearable solution for both, or for switching readily...

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
I Googled Chording keyboard and found this: TextWriter

The really cool thing is in the upper left corner of the page:

"The TextWriter BlueTooth already works in our labs with the Nokia N770, N800 and N810 devices."

Kinda spendy and no word on availability...but I want one!

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Wow, that glove is kinda crazy. I can't even begin to imagine what you'd have to do to learn how to use that. But the concept is interesting.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
reminds me of the old microwriter concept from the early 80's which used to interface to BBC micros amongst others...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwriter

That KITTY device looks great, especially for being inconspicuous. I'm interested in making something similar, if just for simply controlling the media player, and maybe hooking up to some text-to-speech for reading my email. It seems like it'd be pretty easy to hack up a USB numpad into a glove, although it'd be neater to have it work via bluetooth. Textwriter also looks cool, since they're apparently planning to start production of USB models.

Another great project is Chordite; he was also working on a hand-based chording keyboard, but doesn't seem to have posted anything recently. Apparently his work was based on this work. Still, it's an interesting blog of the design process.