Active Topics

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
I know I'm a bit late in responding here but hey can't be checking the thread every two minutes, I'm busy developing for the contest!

Anyways, in response to:
While checking out the list, I noticed one of the apps, Flipclock 1.0, has been in development since 2008. I already feel biased, as its my direct competitor, but who is going to judge what is a significant update? I think it should be clearly stated by the author on the wiki, checked by an unbiased person and most importantly taken into account by the voters. Otherwise it doesn't seem too fair...
As the lead developer on Flip, just wanted to point out that while the project "officially" started in 2008, it's been a LONG road since then and there was a lot of downtime in between. Ciro had officially started it, built some of it up in python... then I got on board, helped him out for a few months and got some actual functionality going on... then we left it alone for about 8-10 months (the old "get it working so it doesn't crash every 5 minutes, and call it "done enough for me" mentality!). Then we started to rebuild the entire project from scratch in C to make it more stable/reliable/faster... which took many months... everything got changed around, new features, different way of doing things, etc. Big long wish list of things came up, of which we had maybe 30% done... then the N900 came out, and a whole whack of things didn't work so I basically gave up on it for a few months. Finally in the last two months I got Spenc3 on board to help with the N900 specific code, and we've been doing a lot of backend playing around, but not actual updates/major changes.

This competition is acting as motivation to help us take that "playing around' and apply it to make an "end user ready" application. Whether that counts as being good enough to be worth a bounty or not, that's up to the community ppl to decide, but in my mind it makes perfect sense for the goal of this contest which was to get more apps out there for N900 users. Getting new developers onboard is awesome too, but I think the content should be helping to push both goals.

(And you know, competition or not... if anyone including "the direct competitors" need some coding help or API assistance/etc... especially with that ellusive AlarmD interface... we're more than happy to share what we know and help out! The whole point isn't to get the reward, it's to help build the devel community!)

And one more point... Spenc3 and I are working on a few different apps, so yea we might have a bit more coding background/experience, but we're also trying to help push more apps out there because of it!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Would spend 5$.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Oulu, Finland
I join the competition. I'm developing my first N900 and Qt application by Python. The application runs in the background and records GPRS traffic counters and there is UI which shows hourly, daily, weekly and monthly traffics. I guess this goes to category "2. System & Utilities".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JereM For This Useful Post:
Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
I have submitted my first app. More useless than the fart app. It is called Old School, and you can read more about it in this thread (or just find it in the Desktop category of Extras-Devel). It is a Python app (PyQt), and I am hoping to write up a short primer on packaging a Python app so that others don't have to spend the two days I spent googling, downloading, testing, and struggling (and so people who actually know how to do it can correct me as well).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post:
Oh,

I'd like to pay $10 to get groups in contacts.. ! (ringtone per group, group sms and stuff like that)

Anyone working on that?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
(And you know, competition or not... if anyone including "the direct competitors" need some coding help or API assistance/etc... especially with that ellusive AlarmD interface... we're more than happy to share what we know and help out! The whole point isn't to get the reward, it's to help build the devel community!)
That's the spirit! Remind me to buy you a beer if we ever meet.

A quick AlarmD howto in the wiki would be wonderful to see. Some alarm functionality is in my plan as well, but I probably won't get to that feature within the next 2 months.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lynoure For This Useful Post:
Great to see things moving on, plus we're well over 2000 views on the wiki

Originally Posted by NokiaRocks View Post
Would spend 5$.
Are you offering a donation for the prize fund? If so it would be very welcome! We're still (yes, still!) getting the paypal situation sorted but let me know if you're happy to pledge that $5 and we'll add you to the list

Originally Posted by JereM View Post
I join the competition. I'm developing my first N900 and Qt application by Python. The application runs in the background and records GPRS traffic counters and there is UI which shows hourly, daily, weekly and monthly traffics. I guess this goes to category "2. System & Utilities".
Welcome aboard JereM, that sounds like a pretty interesting application If you have a spare moment, add yourself to the participants section of the Wiki page so we can keep track of your progress If you;re not sure how, let us know what details you want entered and someone will add you on there.

Originally Posted by rmerren View Post
I have submitted my first app. More useless than the fart app. It is called Old School, and you can read more about it in this thread (or just find it in the Desktop category of Extras-Devel). It is a Python app (PyQt), and I am hoping to write up a short primer on packaging a Python app so that others don't have to spend the two days I spent googling, downloading, testing, and struggling (and so people who actually know how to do it can correct me as well).
Haha! Awesome, I seen it in the other thread and thought it's somewhere between genius and insanity.. Im not sure where yet Good job!

And a short primer on packaging would be brilliant, I must admit there will probably be bumps in the next few weeks and packaging could be one of them. I've heard it can be a bit confusing at the beginning, Im sure a tutorial would help a lot!

Originally Posted by haj View Post
Oh,

I'd like to pay $10 to get groups in contacts.. ! (ringtone per group, group sms and stuff like that)

Anyone working on that?
Im not sure if anyone is working on that, but maybe someone will spot your offer Brainstorm or similar might be better sections to get more notice though..

Originally Posted by Lynoure View Post
A quick AlarmD howto in the wiki would be wonderful to see. Some alarm functionality is in my plan as well, but I probably won't get to that feature within the next 2 months.
I hadn't heard of AlarmD until your post, I thought it was an application... seems to be an alternative to cron. Might be more info in this thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=46594

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-06-03 at 17:09.

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
ooo i wish qtmobility/multimedia was half decent lol - still might have time to get an entry in :P
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following User Says Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
ooo i wish qtmobility/multimedia was half decent lol - still might have time to get an entry in :P
You better!!!

There seems a be more than a few issues with those, Im not sure they are near ready for the limelight yet For QtMultimedia issues, can it be replaced with pymedia.. somehow? I wonder how helex is getting on with using it, I hope he got over his stumbling block.. sounds like he has an interesting idea if it works

Edit: nevermind, I see you're helping each other out and he's having a look at GStreamer. If I remember right, the recorder app uses GStreamer. If it's just to get sound data in then it might do alright.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-06-03 at 17:27.

Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Qt, PyQt, PyGTK, whatever language you like as long as it's functionally complete, runs safely and easily on the n900. Don't make a virus kthx.
What languages can be used to make a program on a N900? Im use to .NET, C, etc but not sure those can run on the N900.

Prizes
Nokia are kindly inviting the six winners (winner of each category) to the MeeGo Conference 2010, in Dublin, Ireland! Travel and accommodation costs will be covered by Nokia. If the winner is unable to attend, a n900 can be offered in exchange.
Can we choose between the trip and the N900?

In addition, we're starting a bounty to award the developer(s) of the best overall apps. If you would like to add to the prize fund please reply/pm me and let me know.. $5, $10, anything would be gratefully received. Why not sponsor your favourite category?
Can we donate a cent? (serious question)