My phone had slipped from my dress pocket onto the toilet at the airport as I was leaving for vacation for another country. The only thing I could do was turn it off and shake whatever water was on it. Left it alone and tried turning it on multiple times after. It had turned on but the touchscreen was not working at all. I gave up, but a week after, I turned on my phone, and it magically started working again. I got back to the US and it was fine for 2 weeks until one day the touch screen stopped working. I left it for a week or so, occasionally turning it on with hopes of it working-- but to no avail. I sent it in to Nokia and they just sent it back-- not repaired. The note that came with the phone said that there was corrosion in the circuitry. I wanted to keep bugging Nokia and hoping they would replace my phone but I don't think I'll get anywhere.

Is there anything else I can do? Make the n900 a paperweight? I only had this phone for 3 months

Posts: 265 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Sydney, Australia
u can try and open it and put it in a box/bowl/whatever of rice thisll hopefully soak up water

Remember it for future.
When electronic gets wet never try to turn it on. This is what damages the phone. Take out the battery and put your device and battery in a bowl of rice for atleast 24 hours so it soaks up the water. I feel sorry for you. You can still give it a try but I dont think it will work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haider For This Useful Post:
I don't think that would work anymore since it was 3 weeks after, and I didn't think there would be any corrosion.

(Plus I had tried that when the touchscreen didn't work the 2nd time. I put it in a bowl of Rice and prayed to the Rice God, but it didn't work)

Originally Posted by Haider View Post
Remember it for future.
When electronic gets wet never try to turn it on. This is what damages the phone. Take out the battery and put your device and battery in a bowl of rice for atleast 24 hours so it soaks up the water. I feel sorry for you. You can still give it a try but I dont think it will work.
I panicked. I turned it on after a few hours in the plane. and then turned it back off. I just assumed that since it was working, everything was okay. It was raining in CA around the time my touchscreen stopped working, but I'm pretty sure I didn't get it wet that time.

AIRPORT TOILET??!?!?!

I'd have left it there...!

Water doesn't damage electronic. When you turn it on,when it's wet, that is what corrisions the circuitry. this is what happened to my 5610 a year ago and when I turned it on everything was fine but after an hour or so lcd stopped working.

Originally Posted by punto View Post
AIRPORT TOILET??!?!?!

I'd have left it there...!
The airport's toilet, right before I boarded the plane. Not the airplane's toilet LOL.

Better change the title of this thread to something more appropriate, like:

Dead N900: Pooperweight?

Without stripping it down to see what the damage is, it's difficult to say if it will ever work again.

Bet you didn't have insurance on it either.

After I applied the screen protector on my N900 with much more soapy water then it needed, I took out the battery and put the phone in a bottle full of rice. After 4 days no more water inside the screen, and 1 year after it's like new.

But since you have tried to use it with some water inside, I don't think the rice will do the trick in your case