As said, Nokia is Microsoft's biatch (lumia) so nothing Linux based shall be allowed.

http://www.mobile-review.com/article...176-en.shtml#2
Why Meltemi was murdered.
Meltemi release would mean that Microsoft would have no sales at all in 2013 in the budget smartphone range. Look for yourself at a probable Meltemi phone: 800x480 3.5” -4” screen, 5MPix camera, a good chassis, high performance and for just 120-130 euro. It would be a bombshell on the market that could mean that Nokia is coming back. I am pretty sure Meltemi would have been successful and would would be happening this summer.

Last edited by zimon; 2012-06-28 at 09:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
http://www.mobile-review.com/article...176-en.shtml#2
Why Meltemi was murdered.
Eldar is clueless. It was killed for less sinister, but more realistic reasons.

Unfortunately, it was killed when it was 60 days (he got that right) out from being released.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

Unfortunately, it was killed when it was 60 days (he got that right) out from being released.
60 days <- depends a lot on whom you asked.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Well don't keep us in suspenders then, share what you know.

It certainly appears to me to be yet another move that only benefits Microsoft and just further damages NOKIA's chances of survival.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Meltemi is being canned according to Reuters - http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...86P0CD20120726
(Reuters) - Struggling Finnish cellphone maker Nokia has scrapped a software project which it had hoped would compete with mass-market Google Android phones, three sources with direct knowledge of the company's plans said.

Nokia was hoping the Linux-based software platform, code-named Meltemi, would replace its ageing Series 40 software in more advanced feature phones, but has killed the project as part of its massive cost-cutting drive.

Scrapping the platform means loss-making Nokia will risk losing its strong position in the mass-market -- where phones are priced at $100-$200. Nokia controlled more than 20 percent of this market in the first quarter, according to research firm IDC.

Nokia's Chief Executive Stephen Elop flagged Meltemi in a leaked video in mid-2011, but Nokia has never officially confirmed Meltemi existed. It declined to comment on Thursday.

In June, Nokia said it would cut 10,000 jobs - one in five staff in its phone business - as it aims to pull the company out of the red. Talks over job cuts are scheduled to end this week in Finland.

One of the sources, who works at a supplier, said the original plan was for the first feature phones using Meltemi should to be on the market by now.

Smartphones such as Apple's iPhone which offer a platform for third-party application developers, is where the industry's strongest growth is. But simpler feature phones, with limited support for third-party software, still account for most units sold.

Nokia's Series 40 platform are in around 2 billion cellphones, making it the most ubiquitous software in the market. But it lacks the smartphone-like experience Meltemi could have offered.

Google's Android platform has stormed the smartphone market in its first few years. Last quarter it was used in roughly 60 percent of all smartphones sold.

Nokia last year dumped its own smartphone software platforms in favor of Microsoft's Windows Phone, which has so far had a limited impact, in part due to the high prices of phones using it.
So what is the future for Nokia? It certainly won't involve Meltemi and I can't see any further progress with Meego, considering that the development team have jumped ship to Jolla.

To me, it seems pretty clear that Nokia see their future as using Series 40 running Qt for the budget/mid-range market, and Windows Phone for the high-end, feature phone market. Qt will be the key bridge that enables developers to easily move between the unsupported platforms and Series 40.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
To me, it seems pretty clear that Nokia see their future as using Series 40 running Qt for the budget/mid-range market, and Windows Phone for the high-end, feature phone market. Qt will be the key bridge that enables developers to easily move between the unsupported platforms and Series 40.
Is there any point in targeting S40 devices? Sure, Angry Birds and GLES2 low-poly shooterups on higher-end touchscreen devices, which will stop selling pretty soon.

Most S40 devices I see are touch-and-type low res devices with resistive screens and a crappy ARMv6 CPU. The browser and Facebook app both suck on it, and I doubt anyone would want to run any serious apps on it.
Most of the good Symbian stuff was made for S60, after all.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
Meltemi is being canned according to Reuters - http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...86P0CD20120726

So what is the future for Nokia? It certainly won't involve Meltemi and I can't see any further progress with Meego, considering that the development team have jumped ship to Jolla.

This is ancient news, you're necro-ing a dead thread...
S40 is java not Qt, Qt is more-or-less dead with Nokia, mission complete MS/Elop.
Meego was slated long ago to have no future, the team hasn't "jumped ship to Jolla".
Some of them have, there's still some left, but mainly for maintenance mode.
Start a new thread.....

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Is there any point in targeting S40 devices? Sure, Angry Birds and GLES2 low-poly shooterups on higher-end touchscreen devices, which will stop selling pretty soon.
Most S40 devices I see are touch-and-type low res devices with resistive screens and a crappy ARMv6 CPU. The browser and Facebook app both suck on it, and I doubt anyone would want to run any serious apps on it.
Most of the good Symbian stuff was made for S60, after all.
Bingo. I suspect the end-game is to squeeze WP down there too...
Or abandon the bottom-end entirely in a few yrs, when S40 starts to clearly lose, which it will.
They may have a stab at Android for the bottom-end, but they will fail and lose there too.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-07-26 at 11:06.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Bingo. I suspect the end-game is to squeeze WP down there too...
Or abandon the bottom-end entirely in a few yrs, when S40 starts to clearly lose, which it will.
They may have a stab at Android for the bottom-end, but they will fail and lose there too.
Yes

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Originally Posted by bingomion View Post
Yes
Java is dead, that is why Nokia have talked about porting Qt on to S40.

Tags
deb & mitm, deb obsoleted, deb rox, dumbphones, linux, linuxmelting, meltemi, rpm sux