Notices

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Any thoughts on an alternative POP3/IMAP client than the built-in Modest email client in the N900? It's having a real problem dealing with Inboxes with over a thousand messages in it. You'd think it could be smart about how it downloads messages (last X days, headers only, etc), but it's failing to download messages and keeps the cpu pegged while doing so, leading to quick battery depletion. The configuration options in Modest leaving me wanting (guess it is, at least, aptly named!)

I have two IMAP accounts configured, both with approximately 1,100 messages in the Inbox.

I'm thinking about Claws-Mail, but I have no idea if that'll even install or run properly on the N900.

Any other alternatives? Barring other options I'll have to spend a few hours pruning my Inboxes I guess.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by hypnotik View Post
You'd think it could be smart about how it downloads messages (last X days, headers only, etc),
You can set it up to do that. I guess maybe you missed the option to do so. I don't remember where it is offhand... perhaps under settings for a specific account.

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Maybe that option exists for POP3 accounts but it doesn't exist for my IMAP account settings. I triple checked this. Anyone else care to chime in here? It's not under the global email settings either.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sweden
I use Nokia Messaging and configure it for gmail/IMAP. It works ok.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
Originally Posted by ovjo12 View Post
I use Nokia Messaging and configure it for gmail/IMAP. It works ok.
How do you do that? All I see is Ovi mail in my options for adding a new account.

The Following User Says Thank You to phi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
Originally Posted by hypnotik View Post
Any thoughts on an alternative POP3/IMAP client than the built-in Modest email client in the N900? It's having a real problem dealing with Inboxes with over a thousand messages in it. You'd think it could be smart about how it downloads messages (last X days, headers only, etc), but it's failing to download messages and keeps the cpu pegged while doing so, leading to quick battery depletion. The configuration options in Modest leaving me wanting (guess it is, at least, aptly named!)

I have two IMAP accounts configured, both with approximately 1,100 messages in the Inbox.

I'm thinking about Claws-Mail, but I have no idea if that'll even install or run properly on the N900.

Any other alternatives? Barring other options I'll have to spend a few hours pruning my Inboxes I guess.
Supposedly there is a bug fix on the way for this, but again, since Nokia isn't going to push out individual bug fixes, I'm guessing its coming in the christmas firmware release.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by phi View Post
How do you do that? All I see is Ovi mail in my options for adding a new account.
I have the exact same issue, and no one seems able to give me an answer why it is available to some US users but not all.

Last edited by christexaport; 2009-11-30 at 22:16.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ UK - Brighton
Supposedly there is a bug fix on the way for this, but again, since Nokia isn't going to push out individual bug fixes, I'm guessing its coming in the christmas firmware release.
Do we have any idea when this firmware update will be in December?

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Supposedly there is a bug fix on the way for this
Yes: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3762 comment 18.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Caprio View Post
Do we have any idea when this firmware update will be in December?
Nokia never announces release dates in advance.

Tags
better e-mail, better email, better than modest, e-mail, e-mail client, email, email client, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, replace modest, replacement email client