Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
On the one occasion when I got to meet Ari Jaaksi, he told me the goal of the Internet Tablet team was to make the internet experience as good or better on the NIT as on a PC.

We usually talk about the aspects where the Nokia N800 needs to improve.

But what about WiFi reception? The N800 with the most recent OS is way better at locating and connecting to WiFi than the four laptops I currently have or have had recent access to.

The new Dell Latitude D820 I've been given at work doesn't even see our home network (based upstairs) from the dining room. And something going on with the Comcast broadband or our inexpensive Netgear wireless router will break the connection to the family computer downstairs that can't be resurrected unless the router is reset. But the N800 (and the 770 I have too) connect just fine after such singularities (which take place probably three or four times a week).

Is the Nokia N800 the best device there is for locating and connecting to a wireless network?

I don't have the experience to say. What can others report?
Read the full article.

My N800 is the most sensitive device I've tried, by far. It's incredible what it can lock on to. For those occasions where it can't lock on to a weak access point the problem seems to be that the AP itself isn't good at reception (The N800 can see the AP, but the AP can't see the N800). I've used networks more than 150 meters from the AP.

Yep, that's true. I have an old netgear 802.11b upstairs, and my Powerbook doesn't manage to lock on it while downstairs. N800 does, and to my astonishment also reports 4 WLANs belonging to neighbours of mine, from inside my house (which has a copper roof), and which are 150-200 mt far. Impressive. Kudos to the little beast :-)

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
If it wasn't for the N800 I wouldn't know that I had an open WiFi close to my house and I wouldn't have arranged my WiFi routers in such a way to properly steal that WiFi signal

It can see and often connect to APs no one else (I mean WiFi equipped devices) could even see.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Wireless reception is one thing, but being able to connect is another matter entirely and this is where the N800 (and 770) is lacking.

Check bugzilla for all the EAP/PEAP WiFi related bug/enhancement requests. Without EAP/PEAP support it's pretty difficult to connect to free campus based WiFi so yes great reception, less than great connectivity.

Has anybody found any test results of the n800/770 reception? I'd love to see some measurements.

I installed DD-WRT on my WRT54GS to use the site survey feature. I thought that the router with its large antennas would outperform my nokia tablets. It may have found 1 network (I forget) whereas my nokias usually see about 4 other networks. Now I know why I often see networks that I can't connect to.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
The N800 easily surpasses every other piece of wifi hardware I have. I can see a ton more connection points than with anything else.

My N800 certainly sees a lot of networks, but connecting is not easy.
For example at work, we have a hidden network to be used by customers. My N800 connects, gets an ip-adr, but it is impossible to browse to any url.
My notebook connects without problems.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
As I've related before, my N800 surpasses my IBM T43 (itself a reliable beast) in locating wifi nodes.

This morning I was waiting in my car for a shop to open, and fiddled a bit with the N800 in the meantime. I could see the airport hotspot.. the airport must be something like a kilometer (0.6-0.7 miles) away (direct view though). I didn't even think of trying to connect, I can't imagine their antenna would be able to receive the signal from the N800.