Active Topics

Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
OK, I just went and read it and I think it would be better having left it as a stub, as now it is just an article about how insecure the NITs are, with no actual information apart from the ramblings of a demented *****.
Yes: quoting Nokia's tech docs is completely insane. **Obviously**.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Well, he's officially lost it.

He's pulling a vandalism charge and threatening to have me banned from wikipedia.

This guy is a menace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...es&redirect=no

Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
OK, I just went and read it and I think it would be better having left it as a stub, as now it is just an article about how insecure the NITs are, with no actual information apart from the ramblings of a demented *****.

It would be nice if he went and got another platform to 'support'. It is lucky noone believes anything they read on wikipedia, as this matches!
meanwhile reverted my cleanup and is now accusing me of vandalism.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
**** it, General, I'm supporting you.

At least you aren't full of ****.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
You are saying that nokias tech docs go into rants about how insecure their operating system is against non-existant viruses, how trivial keyloggers are to write, and how they could be stopped by these super software firewalls that are indestructable somehow.
Indeed, I am also suprised they go into detail as to how insecure the system is compared to say, palms or pocketPCs who have a huge market share with the same securty models and no malware.

I am not trying to say security is brilliant, as it clearly isn't, but when dealing with a threat it is important to devote appropriate resources to a problem, and in your case you are putting a huge emphasis on a very hyperthetical case that while not impossible is so impractical it is not going to happen, while your examples of how to fix it would provide no extra safety and possibly reduce both functionality and security.

So you have edited that article to say that the only thing of significance about the nokia internet tablets is that they are security problem. Nothing else.
I don't understand why you have one if they are so completely useless?

Edit:

BTW, I didn't call you insane.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I would like to know why you think a thread full of ******** which you started is a credible source:
However, ITOS also lacks the defenses that desktop computers typically employ. Currently no virus checker is available for the platform. Although ITOS does contain the usual Debian Linux firewall, but this can only be accessed by advanced users capable of writing their own scripts, and would probably be ineffective as a means of preventing malware from forwarding confidential data from the machine, due to the role of daemon processes as forwarders of such messages. (Malware could use a firewall approved daemon to send data out, by-passing the need to get permission itself.) [2]
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=19074

When the first ARM virus (because I don't think you know, that even if there was a Linux virus, it would have to be recompiled for OS2008) is made, that's when you will get your "virus checker"

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Go for it, have me banned, win your crazy little power play. Honestly, I could care less. Wikipedia will officially be a lost cause when **** like this is allowed to happen. :\

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Well, he's officially lost it.

He's pulling a vandalism charge and threatening to have me banned from wikipedia... this guy''s a menace.
Actually, I specifically said I wasn't reporting you - although I did warn you that persistent wiki vandalism is an offense, which is what I'm supposed to do as a wiki user, if I don't want to get heavy and take you to a Higher Authority. Vandalism being defined as deleting sourced relevant material without using the discussion page and civil, sourced, discussion.

You *might* be right to delete some or all the material - what I wrote might be factually incorrect. But you need to source and discuss and generally obey the rules that you signed up to when you opened a wiki account. Calling someone a "menace" in a forum follow of your friends because they are asking you to live up to standards you agreed to may make you feel better, but it isn't terribly helpful or mature.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Go for it, have me banned, win your crazy little power play. Honestly, I could care less. Wikipedia will officially be a lost cause when **** like this is allowed to happen. :\
You know, you will get banned if you only them hear one side of the story.

For what it's worth, I'll have it on record that I'm firmly on GA's side on this - if there's anything there that's got the smell of 'vandalism' about it it's mr. Meanwhile's article changes, as well as that rant on the discussion page. Sheesh.

I know this defeats the point of wikipedia but why not make 2 seperate articles on your security views.