Posts: 106 | Thanked: 90 times | Joined on May 2009 @ England
I accidentally managed to throw my N810 across the room yesterday, I'd put it on top of a book and forgot it was there... Picked up the book at speed, and shot the N810 across the other side of the room, where it hit to bookcase and fell to the floor! It survived without a scratch

But this lead me to wonder just how accident proof these things are?

Not that I'm planning to go throwing it anywhere else...

Originally Posted by Stupid Little Genius View Post
I accidentally managed to throw my N810 across the room yesterday, I'd put it on top of a book and forgot it was there... Picked up the book at speed, and shot the N810 across the other side of the room, where it hit to bookcase and fell to the floor! It survived without a scratch

But this lead me to wonder just how accident proof these things are?

Not that I'm planning to go throwing it anywhere else...
Obviously no one should TRY to damage their device, but Nokia does have quite a rigorous testing facility for their hardware:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...21695595&hl=en

For those who can't be bothered to watch the video, they basically run the devices through every possible way of damaging them (multi-point bending, heat, moisture, dryness, immersion, splashes, repeated use, repeated tumbling, dropping from heights etc.) and keep doing that until they break. Then they study how the device breaks so they know where the weak points are and how they can be reduced.

They're not guaranteeing it will survive these things, obviously if you drop your tablet in a river it won't be covered by Nokia's warranty. But what they're trying to do is reduce the damage that happens even when you step outside the limits of the official guarantee.

One interesting fact: a device lasts longer if it has gaps in all sides, because it stops moisture collecting. If you look on any Nokia device practically every side of it has some kind of gap or button.

Last edited by krisse; 2009-05-20 at 15:15.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by krisse View Post

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...21695595&hl=en

For those who can't be bothered to watch the video, they basically run the devices through every possible way of damaging them (multi-point bending, heat, moisture, dryness, immersion, splashes, repeated use, repeated tumbling, dropping from heights etc.) and keep doing that until they break. Then they study how the device breaks so they know where the weak points are and how they can be reduced.
A shorter video summarizing the test process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqB4UdpUoGM

The Following User Says Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
my n800has survived many falls onto hard surfaces. my friend dropped his ipod touch from his lap and the glass screen cracked. yea, the ipod design is pretty, but it's not so pretty wearing a rubber case. i've never needed a case for this thing.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I can also vouch for the durability of the tablets. I and my daughter have dropped my N800s repeatedly and I have even accidentally submerged one of my N800s for a significant period of time when my water bottle was not properly closed in my backpack. I let the tablet dry out and it worked (mostly) fine (the sound from the speakers was never 100% after that).

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Previous top-notch Nokia phones - the Communicators - had big problems at their hinges, which sooner or later cracked. Maybe the testing facility wasn't involved in their design...

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Previous top-notch Nokia phones - the Communicators - had big problems at their hinges, which sooner or later cracked. Maybe the testing facility wasn't involved in their design...
(I dunno... I thought Communicators were pretty durable myself, especially the E90! But everyone treats things differently and I haven't used Communicators in the long term.)

Design and reliability are two separate things which may or may not be related.

As I said in another thread, the test facility tests the design to death, but they don't test all the millions of devices that are actually manufactured.

If a factory doesn't stick to the design specs 100% then problems may come up that are nothing to do with the design, for example if sub-standard components are used then stuff may fail more often than it should. (That's what happened to the very first batch of 5800s, and Nokia was forced to change earpiece suppliers.)

So you'd have to look at two things with a device's reliability: is the device's design reliable, and is the mass production factory reliable?

That would explain why devices are more reliable from some factories than others, because some factories may be sticking more closely to the official design than others. I think a lot of people on here have said that tablets made in some countries seem to be more reliable than the same tablets made in other countries.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
OTOH the 2mm charging plug is a piece of sh**. My n800 fell while charging and that was enough to break both the plug (no big deal) and the socket (big deal).
Luckily I could somewhat repair the socket with some foam, but that didn't give me the impression of a robust device (and the fact that the screen died all by itself also reinforced my negative impression).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Now that you mention it, my biggest complaint about the N800's design is the hair-thin charging plug. I think all my chargers have bent plugs. The charging socket is poorly designed, too. I've had to take a pin and carefully bend the contact in the N800's charging socket in order to get the device to charge again.

Originally Posted by luca View Post
OTOH the 2mm charging plug is a piece of sh**. My n800 fell while charging and that was enough to break both the plug (no big deal) and the socket (big deal).
Luckily I could somewhat repair the socket with some foam, but that didn't give me the impression of a robust device (and the fact that the screen died all by itself also reinforced my negative impression).
The 2mm plug is being phased out in favour of the microUSB port being used for charging.

The five biggest phone manufacturers (Nokia, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, LG, Motorola) agreed to do this earlier this year, their aim is to have most new models using a single microUSB charging standard by 2012. Their chargers will be totally interchangeable.

There are already some Nokia models which use microUSB charging (for example the Nokia N85) and perhaps the next Maemo device will use microUSB charging too.

The idea is to gradually ramp up the percentage of devices with microUSB charging, though it can't happen overnight (it didn't happen overnight when they switched to 2mm either) because of the scale of production and the number of chargers already out there.

Last edited by krisse; 2009-05-20 at 18:53.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post: