Active Topics

Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr View Post
why using armel when you can use armhf

for ubuntu geeks that one could be used through nfs :

http://rzr.online.fr/q/rootfs
Sweet! Didn't realize that Debian was working on this. Here's the wiki for it.

http://wiki.debian.org/ArmHardFloatPort/

Wheezy is looking like it's going to be one killer release. They just need a massive amount of bug smashing to be done now that it's frozen.

slaapliedje

So just to clarify (because I recently was attempting to get the HarmChom scripts to work), Inception with PR1.3 now uses ariadne sh and that breaks even this newer packaged version?

Been waiting for this for quite some time. Namely 'cause I want to show my coworker, whom I keep saying Android isn't a good replacement for a full GNU/Linux environment because it's missing X11 and all that comes with it. He showed me that someone came up with an X11 server for it, but you can't do much but run twm on it!

The ability to run Gimp on the N900 was awesome. This is the best thing ever for phones though, portable Debian is a dream come true!

slaapliedje

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr View Post
why using armel when you can use armhf
Is Debian armhf (ARM Hard Float point) stable with wheezy ?

Is there any Debian armhf image available suitable to Easy Debian for Maemo/MeeGo ?
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
So just to clarify (because I recently was attempting to get the HarmChom scripts to work), Inception with PR1.3 now uses ariadne sh and that breaks even this newer packaged version?
See the FAQ : opensh is still compatible with Inception 0.2.x. ariadne is recommended by itsnotabigtruck because it is more secure by asking root password to avoid some malware software to take control of your N9/N950. So be careful when installing some unknown .deb package. Anyway, I've no such issue with my N810, N900 and N9 in the last 3 years.

Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
The ability to run Gimp on the N900 was awesome. This is the best thing ever for phones though, portable Debian is a dream come true!
But it is not comfortable to use GIMP with the N9/N950 capacitive touch screen.
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-08-05 at 16:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dousan View Post
At the moment I won't be joining this adventure as the N9 is my main phone and don't fancy flashing to often.
My N9 with Inception is very stable when using Easy Debian. No reboots or need to flash. Inception is also needed for overclocking, etc.

Originally Posted by Dousan View Post
I'll be relying on my trusted N900 for these kind if things...
Easy Debian on my N900 takes about 60-75 s to open OpenOffice. On N9 @ 1 GHz, just 7-15 s. Only the capacitive touch screen and lack of physical keyboard makes the N9 experience worse.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-08-05 at 17:11.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Rcolistete, you just rock. Thanks for all those efforts, and of course, thanks to Qole too. This is really great.
The main credit goes to Qole, Javispedro, itsnotabigtruck, Harmattan open mode guys, etc. I've just created some very small scripts to make HarmChom and xmimd easy-to-use, glued together in .deb packages. The majority of code, icons, etc, are from Easy Debian for Maemo.

Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
See the FAQ : opensh is still compatible with Inception 0.2.x. ariadne is recommended by itsnotabigtruck because it is more secure by asking root password to avoid some malware software to take control of your N9/N950. So be careful when installing some unknown .deb package. Anyway, I've no such issue with my N810, N900 and N9 in the last 3 years.
Thanks, yeah, I should have read the FAQ, normally I do.

But it is not comfortable to use GIMP with the N9/N950 capacitive touch screen.
Well, I did state that it was awesome to run Gimp on the N900, not that I'd want to on the N9, but the next sentence I said is that portable Debian is a dream come true, meaning that's what I really wanted.

Seriously though, I think that one of Jolla's phones need to have a resistive screen, or a capacitive that has pressure sensitivity (do they make capacitive ones with pressure sensitivity?)

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
@rcolistete arghh now have the 'ich' to try it out, what the hell I'll do it when I have some spare time

Regards Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
The main credit goes to Qole, Javispedro, itsnotabigtruck, Harmattan open mode guys, etc. I've just created some very small scripts to make HarmChom and xmimd easy-to-use, glued together in .deb packages. The majority of code, icons, etc, are from Easy Debian for Maemo.
I recognized the icons from Easy Debian Maemo. By the way, I know that Qole is the "father" of the whole project, but your work here is much appreciated and makes Easy Debian for Harmattan much more easier. Thanks to Javispredo and Itsnotabigtruck too, you're right, and I'm sorry I forgot to thank them.

Small question: would it be possible to make the Debian Chroot icon launch MTermite instead of the default terminal application, by editing the .desktop file I guess? I replaced the "meego-terminal" part in the Exec line of /usr/share/applications/debian-chroot.desktop by the Exec line of mtermite.desktop, but no success.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2012-08-05 at 19:14.

Thanks guys! So very much!
I've been hanging around for an Excel editor for ages. Is LibbreOffice more finger friendly than OpenOffice?
Also, when I try and download the normal image (point 1), the file is unaccessable on the server.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dockman For This Useful Post: