Poll: What to do?
Poll Options
What to do?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
So, I've been using the phone regularly ignoring the usb problem for more than a year and a half. Charged every day, maybe twice a day, never filed the charger pins or anything, just always tried not to apply any torque to the connector. I also have one or two bright spots on the screen that have been reportedly been fixed (screen replaced) under warranty.
I recently bought a seperate battery charger and two spare batteries so I can now stop using the usb for charging. Because the charger was faulty, and until I received the replacement I continued charging by usb and noticed that some times I had to pull the charger off and re-insert it to start charging. Also I think there is a little slack that wasn't there but that may just be a placebo.

Now I have three choices:
  1. To stop using the usb charger and swap batteries. But what if it it comes off when connecting it to the computer just after warranty is over (January 2012)
  2. To go to nokia care and request a replacement on the grounds of the white spots, and the shaky USB But what if they give me an E7, I don't want an E7...
  3. Open it and glue it, while it's still on But then bye bye warranty (And I may mess it up, I have a history on that)

What do you suggest? What's the better choice

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Don't glue it, solder it down, much easier and much lower risk of rendering your USB useless, and last but not least it is an even stronger connection then glue because of the surfaces that will be glued.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Anyway, gluing it was just a figure of speech. Generally I am not fond of that idea because I fear I will break something but if I finally decide to give it a shot ito will be after careful reading of all the relevant threads around here. I'm not going to edit op but you can consider solder where it says glue.

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Well i have collected as much info as i could find in the thread i made about fixing USB before and after it break's, link 4 in my signature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
First, buy another one off eBay and clone your phone to it, so you'll be less sensitive to harming your baby. Then, do the USB fix yourself - use epoxy putty if you're worried about being cack-handed with glue or solder. Not being facetious, this is precisely what I am in the throes of doing, and once I've serviced and glued down the USB on the old handset I'll swap back and do the same to the newer one...

The Following User Says Thank You to magick777 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 133 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, UK
I think the point is that just buying another one off eBay isn't an option...

The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenholler For This Useful Post:
Give it to Nokia care, get useless E7, sell it, buy aftermarket N900 in ideal condition, solder+epoxy that new not-warranty N900 USB port. you're now in state with working N900 with "protected" port, and not small ammount of bucks in pocket.

Rinse, and repeat.

// Edit

If somehow you don't have guaranty (your poll suggest otherwise), fix it Yourself.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Thank you all for your answers. I do have warranty, in the poll I just included an option for someone that thinks that warranty is useless and that I am better of soldering it on than sending it to Nokia.

I already have another N900 so there is no need getting one off ebay. I see most of you think I shoud fix it myself despite warranty.

I'll wait a little bit for more opinions and I'll decide. Thanks

Wait for N9. Then take it to warranty, maybe you get N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to kike For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
- Buy aftermarket one
- clone internals to other N900 via microSD using backup or/and backupmenu app
- break the fragile port and send it for repair before warranty runs out
- use the other N900 happily synchronised with the following steps
- Get a E7 in exchange if they cannot repair N900 (or oher one with the highest value)
- sell that one on ebay for a profit since that one is brand new in a box
- profit. And you got to keep a N900 the whole time

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blipnl For This Useful Post: