Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by tso View Post
fremantle is coming up iirc. no timeframe given tho.

now if fremantle will join a new device or not is anyones guess...
Well, despite Texrat's "hee hee hee", Igor made some sort of comment about having some hardware to show off, that made it sound like it will be a prototype... Although, I've been wrong so many times before, that once more wouldn't even be noticed....

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Where are these pockets? Your pants? Does anyone ever, you know, comment? ... about... you know, ... the bulges?

500 antiqolling points was apparently on the low side.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Well, despite Texrat's "hee hee hee", Igor made some sort of comment about having some hardware to show off, that made it sound like it will be a prototype...
Practice your NDA signature!

And, hee.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by InfinityDevil View Post
The big missing piece on the NITs is: sync.

Provide a rock-solid sync engine for all types of data -- files, contacts, calendar, tasks, anything via a plug-in architecture -- and server systems for hosting/managing/replicating that data so I can sync my info and back it up to another system easily and I will use my NIT a whole lot more.

Maybe if Nokia paid for a full-time developer on SyncML or something, and also paid for plugins to web PIM systems like google calendars/mail/tasks/contacts, yahoo for the same, MSN for the same, and so on? It has to be easy and it has to work.

Listen to the 1src podcast last week, the guy loves and misses the failed Foleo project which was to sync his contacts, email, tasks, everything from phone to Foleo netbook to desktop and back again seamlessly. This kind of sync engine would replicate and back data up on our own systems as well as across work and home systems, servers, etc.
The concept of "Sync" is soon going to be a thing of the past (IMO). Why, because handheld computers are getting more powerful, and simply syncing them is not going to be enough. A better option is to "sync" them to online servers, so its always in "sync." This is the future, where all your devices share data at all times. Its the revolution of the internet tablets, no sync.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
The concept of "Sync" is soon going to be a thing of the past (IMO). Why, because handheld computers are getting more powerful, and simply syncing them is not going to be enough. A better option is to "sync" them to online servers, so its always in "sync." This is the future, where all your devices share data at all times. Its the revolution of the internet tablets, no sync.
Tell this to people who want to keep their phones' address books up to date. Guess they'll not be pleased about the data plan they need then when it all works so conveniently now via bluetooth.

Also, quite a number of people out there sync their business data and must not use online services to do so.

(And I'm saying this even though I do sync via an online service; still, I consider this second choice and would prefer device2device sync via bluetooth.)

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
You misunderstand.... Device 2 Device is still important, but the future that the NIT present is when this will be unnecessary. In the future, it _should_ be easier to stay in "sync" online than offline. Of course, not everything has WiFi or "free" internet yet, but at least some phones do.

As for business, its really not safe to carry around info on a portable device that you would not want to sync over the web. Remember, your company can sync using their own servers...

Until then, the old palm concept of sync will still be there...

P.S. One reason I don't think device 2 device information exchange will not go away is because if you meet someone on the street, and you want to exchange data, its probably easier to do it D2D, but then again, all you have to do is add each other on facebook or linkedin, and boom, all the data you want is there...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Also, quite a number of people out there sync their business data and must not use online services to do so.
You should also not really have business data that can't be trusted to online services on your handheld device. But if your company is forward-thinking enough to be providing you with a handheld Internet device they should be able to have a company server online that your device can access securely...

EDIT: Yeah, that sounds like what he said...

Last edited by qole; 2008-09-02 at 06:05.

... but then again, all you have to do is add each other on facebook or linkedin, and boom, all the data you want is there...
And you don't mind being locked in with these services? Apart from not trusting them, that is...

As for business, its really not safe to carry around info on a portable device that you would not want to sync over the web. Remember, your company can sync using their own servers...
It's perfectly reasonable to carry business data on a mobile device that you wouldn't want to be on any 3rd party web server: All your contacts, dates, ... need to be on your mobile. Contacts at least. It's quite pointless to carry your mobile around without having the numbers in its memory, isn't it?

There's a risk of losing such a device, yes, but that's about it. If you do, and if somebody else gets access to the data, you'll be held responsible. (Most important: You notice when it's lost.)

Using whatever service on the web is differnt though:
You can safely assume somebody will have access to your data. You don't know who, when and how often, though. That's not a risk you put up with, it's something you know will happen. It's like driving a car (knowing you might have an accident, but chances are low) vs. jumping onto the highway right in front of a speeding truck.

That's why I'm not allowed to use any kind of syncing mechanism except via USB with my mobile phone.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Hey, I like the shoulder pack config at civilianlabs... too bad they're so clever with their interface that I can't figure out how to add the friggin' thing to the cart...
you have to open up one of their models, then you will find a "add to cart" button right next to the image.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by InfinityDevil View Post
The big missing piece on the NITs is: sync.

Provide a rock-solid sync engine for all types of data -- files, contacts, calendar, tasks, anything via a plug-in architecture -- and server systems for hosting/managing/replicating that data so I can sync my info and back it up to another system easily and I will use my NIT a whole lot more.

Maybe if Nokia paid for a full-time developer on SyncML or something, and also paid for plugins to web PIM systems like google calendars/mail/tasks/contacts, yahoo for the same, MSN for the same, and so on? It has to be easy and it has to work.

Listen to the 1src podcast last week, the guy loves and misses the failed Foleo project which was to sync his contacts, email, tasks, everything from phone to Foleo netbook to desktop and back again seamlessly. This kind of sync engine would replicate and back data up on our own systems as well as across work and home systems, servers, etc.
opensync would probably be a start. and im sure someone was working on porting it. but i guess he lost interest after emerig and mcalendar made the google users happy.