Originally Posted by philheaton View Post
Couldnt lock anywhere. Gps hardware wasnt able to function.
How about the performance indoor now? Could you get your position fix say in a shopping complex now? My case generally have poor GPS performance indoor which is quite ridiculous because no device I own previously gave such bad positioning indoor.

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dunfermline, Scotland
indoors, gets a lock within a couple of minutes now. outdoors almost instantaneous.

Originally Posted by kai_en View Post
How about the performance indoor now? Could you get your position fix say in a shopping complex now? My case generally have poor GPS performance indoor which is quite ridiculous because no device I own previously gave such bad positioning indoor.
Is your A(ssist)-GPS turned on? You also need to be connected to data via WiFi or 3G for the A-GPS to work.

Originally Posted by Kein View Post
Is your A(ssist)-GPS turned on? You also need to be connected to data via WiFi or 3G for the A-GPS to work.
Of course they are, they are turned on by default anyway, unless i dabbled with them, they should be on when I bought the device anyway.

EDIT: In fact my GPS signal can get lost when I'm right beside a large flyover while waiting at the traffic lights.

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
My N9's GPS uses Google instead of Nokia. Good news is it locks on quickly, bad news is (sometimes) GPS drops out mid-journey for a minute or two before coming back. Not sure if that's the fault of the N9's hardware, software or rubbish 1980s satellites floating around up there

Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
My N9's GPS uses Google instead of Nokia. Good news is it locks on quickly, bad news is (sometimes) GPS drops out mid-journey for a minute or two before coming back. Not sure if that's the fault of the N9's hardware, software or rubbish 1980s satellites floating around up there
Google and Nokia supl server is really dependent to locations, I found that that I have better ping on Nokia rather than Google, either how I've tried both, doesn't really make much difference.

I think combination of software and hardware might be at play here. Very hard to say but if memory serves me right I can get my location easily indoor with wide margin of approximation of course (I can see big circle of radius on map) during PR 1.0

My theory is that, the newer firmware somehow enforced the device to only "present" the location to (via API calls from various location based apps) when it actually gets a satellite lock and doesn't allow approximated "values" via wifi/cell-tower estimation(Not A-GPS). That puts it difficult for location based apps like Foursquare to work at all indoor. That probably also explained why N9 became over zealous in dropping signals when nearby taller buildings because it doesn't allow approximated "value", a proper lock must always be maintained at all time without few seconds of tolerance.