Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Well done mrsellout, you really have taken that post out of context and blown it out to huge proportions by creating such an alarmist thread. :/

Please change the topic title as this is definitely NOT official!
even though it is indeed not an official statement, the hints are alarming enough...
this being said, it also clearly shows that Maemo is walking a very thin line between... two very unenlightening prospects...
  • NOKIA going bankrupt (the longer Flop / Failure is in charge, the more likely, alas )
  • NOKIA stops the funding...

personally, in over a dozen years owning NOKIAs i have learned to appreciate the long term support of NOKIA for its products and i believe this is still the case.
it becomes really tight when you look at the future, though
  • in how far do they need new apps for N900?
  • they most likely want new apps for MeeGo/Harmattan
  • are they still having an R&D department? m$ is obviously not suited as platform for R&D, thus...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I think it's pretty bizarre that qgil should make such a momentous statement in the Let's Talk Stock! thread, of all places.
he was in a discussion with Dan & it slipped his mind where he was posting?
maybe it also shows how surprised (and afterwards upset about) he was by the (bad) news?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
Following last week's announcements, it looks like **** just got real (from the 'Let's talk Nokia Stock!' thread):

So while no exact time-frame has been established, and with previous assurances that we would retain funding through 2012 [1], it would appear that the time has arrived for us to start planning our future for when we are finally released from Nokia's patronage.

[1] http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...il/005031.html
Dont spread FUD if you dont know FACTS!!!

AFAIK the Maemo managment doesnt have any offical info about this yet! So until then its NOT "official"!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Why is anyone surprised by this?

The dream is over and it's time to move on.

Either support a winning OS or give up while you are ahead.

I was the biggest supporter of the N9 and I for one am done with it.

Good job Nokia for shooting yourself in your foot. Again.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
even though it is indeed not an official statement, the hints are alarming enough...
this being said, it also clearly shows that Maemo is walking a very thin line between... two very unenlightening prospects...
  • NOKIA going bankrupt (the longer Flop / Failure is in charge, the more likely, alas )
  • NOKIA stops the funding...

personally, in over a dozen years owning NOKIAs i have learned to appreciate the long term support of NOKIA for its products and i believe this is still the case.
it becomes really tight when you look at the future, though
  • in how far do they need new apps for N900?
  • they most likely want new apps for MeeGo/Harmattan
  • are they still having an R&D department? m$ is obviously not suited as platform for R&D, thus...
Ooh for got sake, Nokia is in danger but not in THAT danger that they will go bankrupt this year.

Nokia will be Nokia until 2013 and by then Maemo.org is dead anyway.

people here is paranoid. Cool down for freak sake. Maemo.org will find a better place. But dont panic.

I am sure the council is working on a solution.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ beijing-islamabad
more posts , more sadness .
CAN ANY ONE JUST CONFIRM IF IT IS BEING DONE ? SINCE WE HAVE NOT GOT ANY 3 OR 6 MONTHS PRIOR WARNING.

The Following User Says Thank You to imo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Its not official and its paid to the end of the year. Why create a thread with this title now?

An official statement should come from the council and not by reading between the lines on quim's posts.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Just wonder what people here think would be worst. Maemo.org closing down or WW3 and Elop as the new Hitler

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-06-17 at 14:37.

Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
@abill_uk - I don't think it matters very much what qgil will say here, all that matters is do WE(as a community) have the resources and will to move on without Nokia babysitting us. If qgil feels a part of that community he will act like a part of it and will abandon PR type speaking. But it is his right to try to keep his job in those hard times, I suspect he has a family to take care of.
Hosting stuff like the repositories isn't that difficult. Setting up an autobuilder may also be doable. But we are legally not allowed to redistribute a lot of files like firmware images and some packages (used inside the firmware image and installed when setting up a SDK scratchbox environment). That is a problem.
So can we support the Maemo and MeeGo devices properly without those?

If Nokia decides to simply pull the plug without proper warnings, they would make a lot of Nokia customers really angry, making it highly unlikely they would buy Nokia again. But Nokia has done stranger things in the couple years.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Please excuse qgil for not coming with concrete official Nokia statements. There is none at this point. I could simply stay silent and wait for an official sentence whenever there is one. Instead, I pointed out to a connection few seemed to have made last Thursday: all those cuts affect maemo.org funding too.

As explained in the announcement, the timeline for the cuts is between now and the end of 2013. I personally don't expect any sudden cut now. I definitely expect we can keep the promise of the 6 month notice. Kate Alhola and myself are working for an official answer with the budget owners (while all of us must start thinking about our own future jobs as well).

I sent an email to the Council on Friday explaining basically this. If I did an additional step here before having all the questions is because *personally* I was between surprised and slightly sad seeing that very involved and qualified members of this community were still in the mood of ranting and especulation, while the most important topic for this community seemed not to be mentioned at all.

I raised that question “How will you explain maemo.org in six months?” some weeks ago, when I couldn't imagine the situation we are now. But still, the question is now more relevant than ever. And it is indeed a time to set aside your old battles, philias and phobias and focus on community collaboration.

That was in fact my motivation to post yesterday in that thread where I got _some friends_ . Look: it doesn't matter what you think qbout Nokia or about me and my job here. You are smart, your are committed and therefore you could be putting your time and energies in the thread and task more important for this community now.

Back to topic: no need to panic because as you see someone is working at the Nokia side and as you see you are getting the status update and details as soon as possible. About the details of the infrastructure and what would it take to bring it forward, Nemein knows. Henri Bergius (bergie) will be at the Qt Contributors Summit (June 21 - 23). In the meantime I expect more details about the future to be defined in the following days and weeks.

Last edited by qgil; 2012-06-17 at 14:50.

The Following 85 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
abill_uk, ahmadamaj, bandora, bergie, Bernard, BluesLee, bocephus, Bundyo, don_falcone, edgar2, ezameht, fcrochik, fw190, gazza_d, Graham Cobb, helihyv, Helmuth, ibrakalifa, imo, Industreality, inean, iosu, ivgalvez, ja-pc, Jaffa, jalyst, jd4200, jecargo22, joerg_rw, jurop88, kevloral, klinglerware, kojacker, korpi, Kozzi, MartinK, martycollinsesq, mattaustin, Mentalist Traceur, mikecomputing, mikhail_ramalho, mikhas, MINKIN2, misterc, morbid, mrsellout, mr_jrt, mr_pingu, nicolai, nkirk, olighak, OVK, pali, panjgoori, pelago, pepitoe, peterleinchen, PMaff, pycage, qwazix, Rauha, rcolistete, Reggie, richie, rlinfati, saponga, sicelo, sixwheeledbeast, Soppa, Sourav.dubey, stlpaul, Stskeeps, The Wizard of Huz, thedead1440, thp, timoph, TimusEravan, tzsm98, vitaminj, wesq, woody14619, zerox, ziggadebo, zlatokosi, zwer
Closed Thread

Tags
citation needed