So... I have a phone.. LCD cracked... which is flashed completely to factory install. I want to make it into a headless server, but need to enable developer-mode. I have actually managed to get ssh access on bootup over USB networking, as "user", by using a combination of open-mode kernel (to avoid MALFing), and the recovery kernel+initrd to edit and introduce a few files ('dpkg-deb -x' the sshd package and editing the conf, insmodding g_ether.ko and bringing up the interface during show_nokia_logo() in /sbin/preinit, yada yada yada), and from there I can properly install SOME deb files with only 'user' privilidges via 'pkgmgr install-file -f'.

However of the solutions I can think of (as this is from a complete factory config):

I am not connected via gprs0 nor wlan0 to the internet, so I can't use pkgmgr to enable dev mode. Can anyone tell me how to do so via CLI?

I have not managed to get x11vnc binaries on there in a functional manner (display :0 not found, program terminates), so that I can use vnc to enable dev-mode.

Installing opensh, aegisctl, coderus' sudo, develsh, inception, or any other package does not seem to provide me prviliges though (in the case of shells) I can run the shell and see a couple useless permissions added to 'accli -I'

'dpkg-debbing' every dependence for developer-mode doesn't work either.

------
I would be more than happy to turn it into a headless low-power server, if I could just get myself into developer mode... to be honest, I'm surprised that the /sbin/preinit edit for auto-enabling usb networking worked... but I'm outta ideas. One of you guys must know how to implement one of the handful of solutions I've listed above (or maybe even a novel one)

Thanks,
JKL

*Bump*

No-one here can tell me how to do any of the following?

Associate wifi0 with a AP via CLI (I'm assuming using wlancond)?

Connect gprs0 to an APN (which is autodetected with proper APN settings even) via CLI?

What files may be missing that prevent the x11vnc binary from connecting to the :0 display

Force/trick pkgmgr to use locally available files for the install-package option

Even get the most meagre of permission elevation (can we use the fantastic security hole in elevated execution exploited by mempodroid?)

flash open kernel and then simply using devel-su would give you full permissions

Please read the thread. And note that open-mode kernel and developer-mode (including devel-su wrrapped shell) are two completely differnet things. Open-mode kernel does not have developer-mode enabled. And pretty much everything else I've done to get to the point I'm at (ssh access via USB networking immediately upon boot) would have MALFed the phone if I wasn't already running open-mode kernel).

Thanks though

Please read the thread. And note that open-mode kernel and developer-mode (including devel-su wrrapped shell) are two completely differnet things. Open-mode kernel does not have developer-mode enabled until you enable it. And pretty much everything else I've done to get to the point I'm at (ssh access via USB networking immediately upon boot) would have MALFed the phone if I wasn't already running open-mode kernel).

Thanks though