Originally Posted by Benson View Post
What pattern? Where are those numbers from?
This is the installed size in Windows. The stuff they offer you to download from the web site is compressed and might download more stuff as you install it. BTW, Java4 size:

fms@ubuntu:/media/host/Program Files$ du -k Java
43938 Java

I looked at the compressed all-in-one installs; not the automated download-as-you-go.

Of course they're compressed, but so is our filesystem; knowing a comparison of compressed sizes is much more helpful, imho.

Mono has release the source for Moonlight, as of 05/16 that is...

Here is a link to the article on the SD Times site:

http://www.sdtimes.com/content/artic...rticleID=32208

Hope it gets ported soon. I could care less about Silverlight being an MS product or not...I bought my tablet to USE the web and simply expect there to be support for these things and appreciate the hard work of the developer community who pick up the amazing amount of slack left at their feet by Nokia.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I could care less about Silverlight being an MS product or not

you mean "you couldn't care less" - what you said means that you do actually care as you could care less.

why do so many people get that wrong (seems to be a US centric error)?

sorry, pet peeve.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speculatrix For This Useful Post:
[QUOTE=brecklundin;183346]Mono has release the source for Moonlight, as of 05/16 that is...

Here is a link to the article on the SD Times site:

http://www.sdtimes.com/content/artic...rticleID=32208

QUOTE]

Before anyone jumping on this stuff, please read a short review of the "fine" print

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...80528133529454

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Choices FTW!
Choices for whom? Personally I'd rather be able to choose not to download yet one more plugin I don't really need in order to view a new website. And if those plugins are proprietary, I'll have to shell out big bucks to make my own content for them!

Whatever happened to the w3 implementing all this stuff as web standards? I seem to recall they were endorsing SVG among some other things for doing slideshows and simple animation.

I wish I could say "Web Standards FTW!", but sadly that does not seem to be the case.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by xer0kill View Post
Choices for whom? Personally I'd rather be able to choose not to download yet one more plugin I don't really need in order to view a new website.(
I don't understand. Choices for everyone, of course.

No one is forcing anyone to use these technologies. That's why they're supported by voluntarily-downloaded plugins in the first place.

What's your choice? Opt in, or opt out. Download or don't. Use or don't use. Support or don't support.

But note that I'm already on record in this thread as supporting SVG. So please don't single out a 2-word quote as if it summarizes my entire position.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
you mean "you couldn't care less" - what you said means that you do actually care as you could care less.

why do so many people get that wrong (seems to be a US centric error)?

sorry, pet peeve.
makes me nauseous to read such comments.

{see another faux paux for you to nit pick over...now go blow me...}

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I don't understand. Choices for everyone, of course.

No one is forcing anyone to use these technologies. That's why they're supported by voluntarily-downloaded plugins in the first place.

What's your choice? Opt in, or opt out. Download or don't. Use or don't use. Support or don't support.

But note that I'm already on record in this thread as supporting SVG. So please don't single out a 2-word quote as if it summarizes my entire position.
Hey, I wasn't intending to construe that as being your entire position. I was just responding to that one statement you posted. I do apologize if it came across as a generalization.

I do understand what you're saying but, imo, some of what you mention are not true choices. After all, you might as well just say I have the choice to turn on my PC or not. I have the choice to use the web or not.

My proposal is that the backend technology ought to be implemented at the browser/OS level. There is absolutely no reason that these functions cannot be developed into a web standard. I realize capitalism complicates these issue, but that's where the frontends would come in. I have absolutely no problem with companies developing proprietary/commercial GUIs for the creation of this content. What I favor is true cross-platform/cross-browser support. A world where the web "just works" and there are no limits on creativity. Also, a world where profits relate to true innovation... not just whatever latest app the big guys are trying to convince us that we need.

I welcome your thoughts on this subject.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by xer0kill View Post
Hey, I wasn't intending to construe that as being your entire position. I was just responding to that one statement you posted. I do apologize if it came across as a generalization.

I do understand what you're saying but, imo, some of what you mention are not true choices. After all, you might as well just say I have the choice to turn on my PC or not. I have the choice to use the web or not.

My proposal is that the backend technology ought to be implemented at the browser/OS level. There is absolutely no reason that these functions cannot be developed into a web standard. I realize capitalism complicates these issue, but that's where the frontends would come in. I have absolutely no problem with companies developing proprietary/commercial GUIs for the creation of this content. What I favor is true cross-platform/cross-browser support. A world where the web "just works" and there are no limits on creativity. Also, a world where profits relate to true innovation... not just whatever latest app the big guys are trying to convince us that we need.

I welcome your thoughts on this subject.
To an extent I agree with what you say, mainly in principle. The problem is that your arguments could be equally applied to Flash, and yet it became an eventual standard. It's entirey possible that Silverlight may as well (though not necessarily probable).

And your point about choice goes to a much farther extreme than this dialog warrants. Silverlight is fairly quivalent to Flash. Therefore, if it "grew legs" and came into significant use, then it's reasonable to assume it would be deployed in similar fashion. Eego, you would see competitors to Youtube using Silverlight, and thus web users would have another choice of media outlets. Content providers would have another choice of development technology. In a true competitive environment, the generally better (which may in this case be defined as "easier to use" or "smaller results") technology will prevail.

I also favor what you support, but I'm a realist too. I'd love to see SVG become what it was intended to be, but I recognize that companies are more likely to push their patent-laden proprietary solutions. If the web were noncommercial as it used to be, SVG would very well be the standard. But once the internet became dominated by commercial interests in the mid to late 1990s, that diminished severely in liklihood.

Bottom line, though, I don't expect Silverlight to scare Adobe much. It's another example of Microsoft doing too little too late. So I see it as one more tool that's available, which I still believe is generally good, but I don't see it ultimately amounting to much... making the whole thing a nonstarter IMO.