Posts: 288 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
You might consider downloading a linux livecd to muck-about with and learn the basics. It won't trash your computer, and you can install to a partition when you want to start changing things.

This one is excellent for that purpose - as it is pure debian
http://sidux.com/

If you want a walker, try ubuntu
+1

But stay away from *buntu. As Maemo is based on Debian you should go with the most raw Debian distribution you can find :-)

Cheers
Bjoern

Originally Posted by 406NotAcceptable View Post
Nano is far more user friendly than vi.
That is a matter of opinion.

Originally Posted by j.s View Post
That is a matter of opinion.
Not if you use a CLI-Editor for the first time ;-)

I prefer joe over nano (and I am planing to port it to Maemo as soon as I can find some time)

But even after using Gentoo-Linux for years (~10 years), hacking around on the CLI, I never used vi(m) (some times I had to, but I simply can't remember all the key combination and I am to lazy to learn them now).

Well, lets say it's way to complicate for me :-)

If joe is not sufficient, scp and kate will do the trick (or sed, awk, python..)

But for the beginning and first encounter with config files nana/joe will be more convenient.

Vi(m) thought is way more powerful.

Cheers
Bjoern

Originally Posted by blubbi View Post
Not if you use a CLI-Editor for the first time ;-)
Beginners do not have a monopoly on using. Beginner friendly and user friendly are not identical.

When I get (more or less briefly) trapped in nano on a system that has nano set as the default (for root! what is up with that?!) editor by the install program, I do not feel surrounded by friendliness at all. I am very much an user.

Originally Posted by j.s View Post
Beginners do not have a monopoly on using. Beginner friendly and user friendly are not identical.

When I get (more or less briefly) trapped in nano on a system that has nano set as the default (for root! what is up with that?!) editor by the install program, I do not feel surrounded by friendliness at all. I am very much an user.
Well, you have to learn every editor, but the key combinations in nano are limited and quitting works with STRG-C (without saving), there are no different modes (once you are traped in one you can't even exit vi without knowing how to exit the mod you are in)
which makes it easier to learn.

I never said nano is the best or is flawless (thats why I use joe instead)

But I'll stop here discussing about editors. This is why I choose Linux over Windows. The freedom of choice! If you don't like it, change it, patch it, submit a bug :-)

Cheers
Bjoern

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Just ran into this. Seems quite appropriate for those wishing to quickly pick up the basics. http://freeengineer.org/learnUNIXin10minutes.html