Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Wasn't this thread about the N810 WiMAX version ?

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
... except there's no WiMAX anywhere to speak of (and none whatsoever in Europe)
Not really... Check out http://www.cm-sjm.pt/index.php?oid=7770&op=all
(in Portuguese)

São João da Madeira (a city in the north of Portugal) is fully covered by Wimax (for 30 selected users... there's always a catch - everybody else gets free city-wide internet access through Wifi) since the 11th of October 2007.

So, again, prices are gonna go down in America (even if the n810 already costs much less that what it costs in Europe - and even if Nokia is an European brand) as the wimax version will cost $479. Us Europeans will go on paying €479 for the non-wimax version.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Once again I think Nokia has taken a shot at what technology might evolve to.
Unfortunately shooting at future technology is more like partridge/grouse hunting then shooting clay pigeons. The partridge moves all over the place and might go to ground. The clay goes in a fairly predictable line.
From early 2007
Sprint has just announced its WiMAX buildout schedule for 2007, and intial service is set to be provided to Chicago and Washington, DC. These are test markets for Sprint, which hopes to roll out the high-speed technology to 100 million people by the end of 2008
Whoops, missed that one.

Someone else must be good at numbers, but I look at the N810we as a collectors item. I fail to see how extremely limited service (won't have WiMAX in Manhattan, Kansas, Tupelo, Mississippi, etc.) minor hardware changes (I would have preferred the FM radio brought back) and a continuing failure to add in a good PIM will add value to the N810, we or not.

I just hope any delay in WiMAX doesn't delay Diablo.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
This is quite the gamble bringing this out but I can see them changing the radio for anything else as required. Considering that I've long given up on wide area wireless in Canada (cell companies, what a joke) or wasn't hopeful for the short term I was excited to imagine WiMAX. Right now I'm wondering if a more global standard would be better. I expect to hear about an N810L or whatever the non U.S. device will be.

How about if the new radio was a modular device that is user or local shop changeable? The WiMAX/LT/Ethernet whatever device can be changed to whatever the user can use? My laptop didn't come with BT but $22 for a (internal and actually works) module and a few minutes later I have BT.

And for existing ITs they could build a BT device with the WiWOW/yada radio. Built to work 100% on the Ns since I won't trust generic BT devices anymore. A palm sized device like the 10X GPS that will tether to the IT and easily come online. I see that little addon toy a hot item whether WiMAX or whatever it all becomes.

Last edited by IcelandDreams; 2008-04-05 at 21:52.

Originally Posted by Schprlock View Post
Not really... Check out http://www.cm-sjm.pt/index.php?oid=7770&op=all
(in Portuguese)

São João da Madeira (a city in the north of Portugal) is fully covered by Wimax (for 30 selected users... there's always a catch - everybody else gets free city-wide internet access through Wifi) since the 11th of October 2007.

So, again, prices are gonna go down in America (even if the n810 already costs much less that what it costs in Europe - and even if Nokia is an European brand) as the wimax version will cost $479. Us Europeans will go on paying €479 for the non-wimax version.
But you must remember:

In the real world:
1€ = 1,5738 $
On Technology Products:
1$ = 1,5738 €

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kotzkind For This Useful Post:
Posts: 186 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Canada
I watched a video a moments ago and it was said that the n810 wimax will only work on carriers in the United States. If other countries offer same 2.5 Ghz service wouldnt you just search for signals and type in login details just like in any other internet modem?

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Originally Posted by Nik1 View Post
I watched a video a moments ago and it was said that the n810 wimax will only work on carriers in the United States.
Link to this video?

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Nik1 View Post
I watched a video a moments ago and it was said that the n810 wimax will only work on carriers in the United States. If other countries offer same 2.5 Ghz service wouldnt you just search for signals and type in login details just like in any other internet modem?
No, AFAIK WiMAx standard does not mandate the method for network authentication. Also, I think n810 is only certified compatible with XOHM.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
No, AFAIK WiMAx standard does not mandate the method for network authentication. Also, I think n810 is only certified compatible with XOHM.
That's not completely correct, WiMAX is a standards based technology, if you deliver a true WiMAX product it better work with anyone's network supporting WiMAX or you can't call it WiMAX; the question comes down to the frequency range being used by the provider which will determine if you can interconnect with a WiMAX signal. Of course actually getting access to a network will be similar to how many Wi-Fi hotspots work today where there may or may not be an authentication mechanism used to gain access to the internet.

Nokia's release of the WiMAX on the IT tablets is nothing more then a beta test for Nokia...which I believe all long as been the idea behind the IT's in general. It let's Nokia test out various technologies such as WiMAX, using Linux, VoIP, etc. on a rather sophisticated user base (most of use know what a xterm window is while not committing a ton of capital towards there real money making cell phone product.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
That's not completely correct, WiMAX is a standards based technology, if you deliver a true WiMAX product it better work with anyone's network supporting WiMAX or you can't call it WiMAX; the question comes down to the frequency range being used by the provider which will determine if you can interconnect with a WiMAX signal. Of course actually getting access to a network will be similar to how many Wi-Fi hotspots work today where there may or may not be an authentication mechanism used to gain access to the internet.
First off, what I said is that the WiMax standard does not mandate a particular method for authentication. Anyway, you are the one who is not completely correct. You can call it WiMax; you just can't call it WiMax Certified unless it's compliant.
http://www.wimaxforum.org/certificat...cation_program
The WiMax standard (802.16) itself has different variations, not the least of which is mobile and fixed. A modem for fixed WiMax will not work on a mobile WiMax network. Unlike GPRS, you can't accurately say any WiMax device will work on anyone's wimax network.

And compatibility, from the perspective of a user who thinks "type in login details just like in any other internet modem?", is not limited to frequency. He/she is clearly referring to, but not understanding, authentication. Your analogy to 802.11a/b/g hotspots and that there "may or may not" be an authentication mechanism only proves my point.

Last edited by SD69; 2008-04-07 at 13:23.