Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Well, now.. this looks promising too...
http://www.hardkernel.com/

Here's a short blurb on CrunchGear:
http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/10/27...ial-dev-units/

If you go to the bottom of http://www.hardkernel.com/keyfunctions.html, there's a bunch of good images like..

The way it can go vertical or horizontal reminds me of the Atari Lynx done one better with the two sets of keypad buttons on either side no matter how you hold it.

Last edited by danramos; 2009-10-27 at 18:44.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
If you go to the bottom of http://www.hardkernel.com/keyfunctions.html, there's a bunch of good images like..

The way it can go vertical or horizontal reminds me of the Atari Lynx done one better with the two sets of keypad buttons on either side no matter how you hold it.
Reminds me a lot more of the Bandai Wonderswan.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Reminds me a lot more of the Bandai Wonderswan.
Considering they've already made units--this might end up holding my interest alongside the new Archos Internet Tablet. The D-pad on this one has one-upped the Archos for me. I WANT the D-pad (I was very disappointed when it was removed after the N800).

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Considering they've already made units--this might end up holding my interest alongside the new Archos Internet Tablet. The D-pad on this one has one-upped the Archos for me. I WANT the D-pad (I was very disappointed when it was removed after the N800).
As much as I'm a huge gamer, the dpad on the N800 and N810 were so horrible that I thought they were better off without one at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
As much as I'm a huge gamer, the dpad on the N800 and N810 were so horrible that I thought they were better off without one at all.
You're right about the d-pad's quality but I disagree with your sentiment that it is better off without one at all.

I'm not a huge gamer but the dpad helped a LOT for me to simply reach into my pocket and pause my podcasts (rewind, fast-forward and so on) as I'm walking along. I REALLY appreciated it for lots of moments when I needed a d-pad despite the fact that I wish they had an improved one.

That's why I'm HAPPY to see what is effectively an internet tablet with a GOOD dpad and buttons.. and even better, EXCELLENT array of them with excellent placement.

have you seen that ?

ODROID-X

http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_20...=G133999328931

regards

The Following User Says Thank You to 48GX For This Useful Post:
It's missing a HDMI port I think.

Though not bad for $129.
Its got full hardware and software documentation, and runs Linux distro's.
It does give the OUYA some competition, but not really, they're aimed at two different yet similar groups.

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to 48GX For This Useful Post:
I wouldn't recommend Tegra2/Tegra3 SoC's.

They have proprietary components.
Also they have an internal module that controls the cpu and gpu behaviour. Vastly limiting your control over voltage, frequency and governors.
This is one of the pitfalls of the OUYA in my opinion, it should be 100% open hardware instead. The Exynos4412 would make a fine choice.

Though I'm suspecting the OUYA will be a bad buy, because its almost outdated as A15's will be imminently released this year. And because, even though the 4412 is an exceptional processor, a year from now, when the OUYA finally ships, it won't be.

To add insult to injury, it would be competing and outclassed by the X360, PS3 and WiiU.

edit: If there was any time any way, for an Android console, it would have been:
-Q3 2011, Android 4.0, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4212.
-Or Q2 '12, Android 4.1, 2GB RAM, Exynos 4412.

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2012-08-23 at 04:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post: