Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I was a bit dissepointed and don't understand what jolla mean with a premium device. Even though we don't have the specs I'm a bit dissepointed by the HW.
Now what exactly is the thing in the HW that pokes you in the eye?

If it's the CPU, AFAIK the high-end HW in high-end droid devices is needed because the OS is not designed to be run on lower-spec CPU/SOC.
If we have an optimized OS the specs need not be so top-notch.

If it's the camera that troubles you, well that is true, you just cannot afford to have the highest end camera modules on a device that uses mostly generic OTS parts. Nokia, Samsung & HTC design/order their own camera modules which smaller manufacturers just cannot buy.

The price is OK and the software looks GREAT.
So why complain? It's the total experience that counts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
It's something about the design, this split design. Might come together for me when I see/feel it in real life. I would also love to see a bit bigger screen in that device. So much borders.

I was expecting a bit more premium. I can't see any business users using this device.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-05-30 at 07:57.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
It's something about the design, this split design. Might come together for me when I see/feel it in real life. I would also love to see a bit bigger screen in that device. So much borders.
I also have concern for the mechanical "goodeness" of the design, it has to be made so that it's easy to couple/decouple, but is resistant to splitting by itself, when it's in your bag or pocket for example.
Also mechanical robustness is important in a situation wher phone falls or is knocked about. The copupling should not break easily.

I was expecting a bit more premium. I can't see any business users using this device.
Well, I'd say if it includes the business applications whatever that means then it could work as a business phone.
(office tools, integration to coprporate mail and IM, ...)

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post

If it's the CPU, AFAIK the high-end HW in high-end droid devices is needed because the OS is not designed to be run on lower-spec CPU/SOC.
If we have an optimized OS the specs need not be so top-notch.

So why complain? It's the total experience that counts.
omg that sounds sooo much Apple Inc. [/flame] ...but you're right

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
What was special about the iPhone was that it was the first modern cell phone.
No. It wasn't modern, not in any way. It was years behind when they launched it.

It was, however, the first cell phone that was sold and hyped like a lifestyle gadget, so Apple managed to escape facts and sold fantasies.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
No. It wasn't modern, not in any way. It was years behind when they launched it.
Exactly!

No video, no usb, no copy/paste, no !!!
But hyping, hyping, hyping.

Especially I do remember their big advertising 'now we
can c/p', which all of my Symbian phones could since years. And even my Siemens S55 from the year 2000.

Thats it from my side, please continue ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester

It was, however, the first cell phone that was sold and hyped like a lifestyle gadget, so Apple managed to escape facts and sold fantasies.
Yes in the same fashion they launched the ipod before it. There were better devices around (and had been for a few years), but none marketed so well.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Thats why Jolla should marketing, marketting marketing. BUT marketing costs alot of money and where should Jolla get those money?

So again it's upto us to decide Jollas future. They will for sure NOT success without communitys help...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
... So why not work with a part of the community and give them correct info to share with their less geeky friends. It's not like you can recommend jolla device to friends and family in current state.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on

You are soooo wrong. iPHONE was way beyond modern. That is why NOKIA is till playing catch up after almost 6 years since iphone launched. Way beyond modern in the whole integration, ease of use, just beautiful product. Everyone today on the market IS iphone copycat!!