Ok now I have better solution for you to try.

There is no out of memory condition. But low memory killer is way too aggressive. Phone doesn't even swap when it starts to kill apps.

I have 17 apps running. Including 4 different browsers with page open. After these tweaks no OOMs or lowmemory kills yet.

This is what I did:

echo "80" > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

echo "32 24" > /proc/sys/vm/lowmem_reserve_ratio

echo "100" > /proc/sys/vm/percpu_pagelist_fraction

echo "98304" > /proc/sys/vm/extra_free_kbytes

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to korppi For This Useful Post:
btw, for people that dont care about Android that much, or want to limit the trouble maker, under /opt/alien/system is a build.prop file where you can mess with the heap size to your hearts content,

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
More RAM??? Whatever the hell for!? My main PC, running Debian Wheezy, 1 GB RAM and no swap, idle with just the OS, background processes and SysMon running, uses 140 MB RAM. My Jolla, allegedly optimised for running on low resources, uses 420 MB in the same configuration. HOW COME???

It's not more RAM we need. It's less bloat.
I honestly don't know where this overhead is coming from? Is it Qt 5.2? I used to have issues with lag at times, but nothing to serious the device would stop functioning. It seems the browser is a huge culprit. Hmmm I wonder is it time to try and revive firefox builds for Qt

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
This morning I started up 9 apps (Browser, meecast, 2 Android IM apps, Gmaps etc.) and have been using and switching between them all day. Not one of them has closed by itself and the phone is mostly as smooth as with fewer apps. The only tweak I've made is to increase vm.swappiness to 60 in /etc/sysctl.d/vm.conf file.

So as of now I'm very happy with the performance and behaviour! There must be something that is different between users since I've never had Jolla to run so great and others are declaring the death of multitasking

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to synt For This Useful Post:
For me tweetian, gpodder, tt-rss alone would sometimes close stuff, if I open a browser for articles from tt-rss it would sometimes close all apps. overcommit helped some trying swappiness and some others now. Why can't we match the N900?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by synt View Post
The only tweak I've made is to increase vm.swappiness to 60 in /etc/sysctl.d/vm.conf file.
A Jolla sailor provided here on TJC some tweaked values to reduce UI lags (with update 9) and he additionally also tweaked some other values in /etc/sysctl.d/vm.conf.

So where is the difference between tweaking /etc/sysctl.d/vm.conf and /proc/sys/vm/ and what is better?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to willi6868 For This Useful Post:
changing vm.conf is persistent across reboots. /proc/sys/vm is set by that script.
setting /proc/sys/vm directly affects this boot but if you reboot it will revert. You have to put your changes in a startup script if you want them to persist.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
A Jolla sailor provided here on TJC some tweaked values to reduce UI lags (with update 9) and he additionally also tweaked some other values in /etc/sysctl.d/vm.conf.
Most of those settings except the swappiness are now the default on update 10.

Donate using Liberapay

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Well, you did not really get it back - you lost up to 200 MB. Zram kicks in before the real swap starts to be used and can usually achieve an up to 50% compression ratio. So a 100 MB zram volume can give you up to 200 MB in-RAM space - basically an extra 100 MB of still fast RAM.

Actually I wonder if that new fancy OOM killer actually takes zram properly into account, as using it should not lead to any noticeable slowdowns. If would be very very wrong if it just lumps it together with normal swap when calculating if it should kill something.

Also, the zram volume size (actually 2x50 MB so that both CPU cores can be used for compression) seems kinda small compared to overall ram size - it is usually advised to use a much bigger amount of ram for zram. Even the N9 that also had just 1 GB of RAM used 256 MB for zram (still called compcache back then - see these nice slides about compcache usage on the N9 and N900).

So I would advice trying to make the overall zram volume size larger to see if it helps with the OOM situation.
Yes, I know. I lost mem but I suspect that OOM is not just linear and total memory dependant. Just testing different things... For now it seems to work quite well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Dammit, it even killed the music player while playing !

Sailors, enjoy your holidays, because you have some serious work to do on this when back in January !

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Yes it kills music players while playing or gpodder. I don't feel that they have that much work to do, it's probably just settings that need to be discussed. I had a lot of improvement raising overcommit and swappiness. For those who don't feel comfortable messing with startup scripts to make settings persistent not sure what should be done, Jolla release something seems the best otherwise something in openrepos. A lot of discussion can be done on what the "correct" settings should be. korppi has some interesting ideas above.

The Following User Says Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post: