Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Finally the Premium services from Wayfinder can be purchased.

We all knew the prices. For Western Europe it's 99€ for 36 months.
Official support for N800 too.

No words on what's the Premium services actually are (a part from turn-by-turn navigation with voice)

Edit: I've also discovered that Nav4All is planning to release to port it's navigation software to the N800 as well:

http://nav4all.com/site2/nav4all.com...ernet%20Tablet

Last edited by anidel; 2007-12-18 at 11:32.

Nav4All has been saying that for over 1 year....

I know the navigation stuff has just become available, but does anybody know if you can see the turn-by-turn directions before you travel? For example, I have a route and it shows it on the map. Before I go though, I'd like to be able to look at a "real map" (or at least a larger map on my laptop) and know what turns I'm making before I go. Does Wayfinder list those turns somewhere? I like to be able to look at the list (at rest stops, usually) and kind of know what's coming... Also, how good is it at rerouting you if you miss a turn or if you go a "back way"?

Thanks!!

- Mandy

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by purplehooker View Post
I know the navigation stuff has just become available, but does anybody know if you can see the turn-by-turn directions before you travel? For example, I have a route and it shows it on the map. Before I go though, I'd like to be able to look at a "real map" (or at least a larger map on my laptop) and know what turns I'm making before I go. Does Wayfinder list those turns somewhere? I like to be able to look at the list (at rest stops, usually) and kind of know what's coming... Also, how good is it at rerouting you if you miss a turn or if you go a "back way"?

Thanks!!

- Mandy
You can not...

Having been a Navicore/Wayfinder user since the begining on the N800 >>http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=6380

I have favorably reviewed and used the product since >>http://my.opera.com/yodude/blog/2007...e-screen-shots

So... while waiting for this "Wayfinder" upgrade I was hoping this app would have improved. It has not.

IMHO, a better alternative to purchasing the "Wayfinder" app for either the N800 or the N810 @ $129 for 36 months would be to purchase a stand alone car navigator for the same or less..

>> https://shop.wayfinder.com/productgr...id=81&catid=15

VS.

>> $129.00 or $99.00

You will get the features you want, quicker GPS fix, and although they are smaller screen sizes than the N800/10's, they actually show about the same size map when in the navigation mode.

VS.

No one has been a bigger fan of the Navicore/Wayfinder app than me on this site. However, if the tablets are to be a consumer device then IMHO, consumers should vote with their $$$'s and purchase alternatives until someone produces an app that utilizes the tablets full potential.

Wayfinder could have been so much more than this sophomoric effort that they have presented us.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by purplehooker View Post
Does Wayfinder list those turns somewhere? I like to be able to look at the list (at rest stops, usually) and kind of know what's coming... Also, how good is it at rerouting you if you miss a turn or if you go a "back way"?
Wayfinder doesn't give you a routing list. But you can enter your route and press D-pad UP/DOWN to simulate driving (step by step)...

Not really practically, but imho the only way to see details (direction instructions etc.) of your route.

The Following User Says Thank You to N770-Freak For This Useful Post:
Thanks guys. I have a feeling we'll still go ahead and purchase a license but for any heavy duty trips we'll use our Garmin GPS. This will work ok for when I'm running around town and lost! I have a habit of going to one place, remembering I need to go to 3 others but I never know the best way to get there!

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Wayfinder could have been so much more than this sophomoric effort that they have presented us.
I agree 100%. I'm really disappointed in the included app to the point that I just wouldn't spend any money on additional software. I'll wait for 3rd party apps to fill the gap and use a Garmin in the car.

Having gone for a drive with the navigation this evening - YUCK!!! I think I'll save my money and maybe play a little more with Maemo mapper. Just looking at the navigation stuff in the living room, it looked decent, but it's practically useless on the road. It also doesn't help that there's a lot of construction happening around here so the roads aren't in the "right place", lol. I hope they'll work on the Wayfinder stuff, but it definitely has a long way to go!

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Does anyone know how long the Navicore licence keys lasts for the Wayfinder service?

I shall be a bid fed up if it is only 36 months. if that is the case I would rather Navicore made a software update for the 2008OS.

Sorry if this question is answered elsewhere, I just came across this thread and haven't looked further.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alberta, Canada
The only value I can see of having Wayfinder on my N800 is that I'm perhaps more likely to have it with me than a standalone GPS - for those unexpected GPSing needs.

BTW, has anyone using Wayfinder maps discovered HAWAII???