Aww, was going to test again with security lock code disabled but they pulled Air UI from Nokia Store. Which is a good thing of course, but this testing ends now here.

The Following User Says Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Really sorry about the troubles with Air UI.
We are working on a fix for it... but in the mean time my advice is to uninstall Air UI even if it works fine.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cristi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Its not AIR that bricked your phone its the navifirm firmware.

AFAIK PR1.1 is STILL not avaible in northern european!
It has been available for North Europe pretty much from the start? I at least updated my North European/Finnish N9 to PR1.1 in launch day.

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Brisbane, AU
Originally Posted by Aranel View Post
Update (sorry for double-posting but I thought It worth a bump):

Looks like http://wiki.meego.com/N950/Fixing_MALF_state works quite well, at least for my N950. (Sorry, couldn't get myself to brick N9, so It's up to you to confirm )
Yes this works on N9. I've done it a couple of times now.

Note: It displays a way scary notice about your warranty is now void, so if you want to do this on your warranty-covered N9, you may want to think again.
On the N9 there is no scary warning/notice. At least I didn't see one.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteveYoungs For This Useful Post:
To restore your device you can use the Nokia Software Updater. Reinstalling with NSU keeps your pictures, music and docs but you'll lose all the installed apps and you'll have to re-enter passwords for accounts.

If you really need to keep all your data (installed apps included) you can follow instructions from here: http://wiki.meego.com/N950/Fixing_MALF_state but you'll see a warning about voiding the warranty.

If you decide to go this way, you need to remove the Air UI plugin file: /usr/lib/qt4/plugins/inputmethods/libairuiplugin.so (this is the location on the phone). So if you have followed the exact same steps with the exact same names as in the wiki above, you need to run this command (after mounting the rootfs):

$ sudo rm /mnt/n9/usr/lib/qt4/plugins/inputmethods/libairuiplugin.so

Also remember to remove the malf file.
After boot up you should remove the Air UI package from the Application Manager.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cristi For This Useful Post:
Hope that you get the app working quick, I'd love to use the phone without touching it .

Posts: 302 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ England
I wish people would stop over hyping the term 'bricking'. If you can reflash and get the device to work again then certainly is not 'bricked'. This term means when you're device it is so badly damaged it's only possible use is as a physical weight.

/Rant

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Captwheeto For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Captwheeto View Post
I wish people would stop over hyping the term 'bricking'. If you can reflash and get the device to work again then certainly is not 'bricked'. This term means when you're device it is so badly damaged it's only possible use is as a physical weight.

/Rant
Sorry about that. I thought about terminology in the time of writing, but I didn't know if it was recoverable by home means, and I thought that it was good to get attention to the issue fast. I was in the bus when it happened and used my other phone to write it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cristi View Post
To restore your device you can use the Nokia Software Updater. Reinstalling with NSU keeps your pictures, music and docs but you'll lose all the installed apps and you'll have to re-enter passwords for accounts.

If you really need to keep all your data (installed apps included) you can follow instructions from here: http://wiki.meego.com/N950/Fixing_MALF_state but you'll see a warning about voiding the warranty.

If you decide to go this way, you need to remove the Air UI plugin file: /usr/lib/qt4/plugins/inputmethods/libairuiplugin.so (this is the location on the phone). So if you have followed the exact same steps with the exact same names as in the wiki above, you need to run this command (after mounting the rootfs):

$ sudo rm /mnt/n9/usr/lib/qt4/plugins/inputmethods/libairuiplugin.so

Also remember to remove the malf file.
After boot up you should remove the Air UI package from the Application Manager.
I tried to connect my N9 to NSU . NSU recognized my N9 but gave me an eror :" Connection eror " . (win7 64bit)
I followed your instruction with ubuntu and my N9 is alive again . It's funny :d

Last edited by soleil; 2011-12-03 at 11:52.

@christi: how do you install your input method plugin? do you modify any system files?