Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
lets see if apple start patent troll jolla.....

http://60unread.com/?p=142#more-142
Once they do, you know they're doing something right and showing up on Apple's radar. I hope to God Jolla does well. I'm very, very skeptical but I'm hopeful that they don't end up repeating all the same stupid Maemo mistakes and listen to what customers want and build it around customers and hopefully open-sourcing and inviting far more development this time.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Apple flying blind. They are doing a Nokia in the coming years.

Lack of innovation and some mistakes...

[written With an iPad]

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-10-04 at 16:21.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Once they do, you know they're doing something right and showing up on Apple's radar. I hope to God Jolla does well. I'm very, very skeptical but I'm hopeful that they don't end up repeating all the same stupid Maemo mistakes and listen to what customers want and build it around customers and hopefully open-sourcing and inviting far more development this time.
I think they are more open already:

http://github.com/nemomobile

but yes. They should upload sailfish silica UI to github too...

Originally Posted by diogotrc View Post
Intel has already said it will not support the Mir and will support Wayland.
Canonical does not represent anything close to the RedHat and RedHat also supports wayland.
Ubuntu is the worst distro I've used.
Well what you think is worst is not what endusers think iss worst...

I also don't is a fan of ubuntu BUT normal users knows best about Ubuntu and it is the easiest dist for endusers.

I personally has tried both opensuse and fedora but always comes back to kubuntu because of the driver issues and similar.

However I would choose Redhat or debian as server etc... But thats a different story.

Btw. There is a bussiness reason for Intel to prefer Wayland. It simply because most maintainers are payed by Intel probadly most stable drivers is Intel GFX.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-10-04 at 20:49.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
They've said for ages now that large chunks of that layer will be closed so they can license their flavour of Sailfish.
But, hopefully many of the most central/heavily_used apps will be kept in the open flavour of Nemo/Sailfish...

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
They've said for ages now that large chunks of that layer will be closed so they can license their flavour of Sailfish.
But, hopefully many of the most central/heavily_used apps will be kept in the open flavour of Nemo/Sailfish...
Then they have to update the license of silica because in the SDK its still BSD license.(Yes I know its not only silica that makes the UI but...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
If they don't find anyone to license it to they might find themselves in a position where they have no choice but release it fully open

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

I'd say open the source wherever, it doesn't have to be github so long as anybody with the correct merit/permissions/etc. can commit, check out and the like. This comment is just to avoid promoting certain websites, no matter how good they may seem to be. FWIW, Jolla could host their own repository.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
If they don't find anyone to license it to they might find themselves in a position where they have no choice but release it fully open
Getting and oneself flashing Sailfish OS i.e. to Galaxy Note3 would be great, but I wonder from where Jolla then makes the money?

Maybe just FOSS all the way the lower parts of OS, but Window manager (launcher), ACL and few essential apps then could (should) be bought from Jolla. At least in the start there wouldn't be FOSS alternatives for those and if Jolla has made them well, why not pay for them.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/jolla-annou...roid-apps-too/
It’s also not clear if Jolla will be offering Sailfish to makers only or if users will get to flash their Android devices too, a la CyanogenMod. (or Replicant)
What it comes to multitasking, I find it hard to accept Jolla could claim to have the best multitasking experience, compared to Note3 for example. And because Android devices can run Qt-apps as well, there is several complicated choices to be made for the heavy user of mobile devices. (The best choice to be PRISM/NSA-free would be Replicant.)

The things I am missing in SGS3, SGS4, Note3, other_top_android_phones_and_tablets; is mainline Linux, POSIX/GNU software libraries and X/Wayland. Jolla's first device fails elsewhere but would have those in Sailfish.
So I could pay for an option to have Sailfish, Silica UI, ACL and the basic GUI system apps to be myself flashed to a Note3. But then again, with 3 GB RAM in Note3, I could just have Fedora LXDE installed with chroot.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
At no point have they suggested they'd license to end-users for Android devices, the media simply latched onto that because of it's misunderstanding of libhybris.
They've always made it clear that's definitely NOT what they're doing, but, things may change, who knows...

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla