Active Topics

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Cabot, Arkansas
Im new to developing and i want to try and make a small app that displays the current desktop and sticks to all desktops. sort of like the default ubuntu workspace displayer (default botom right).

I have sdk and sucessfuly compiled sample code. The problem is i dont know where to start besides looking through sample code and googleing. Is this a good app/widget idea or should i not even waist my time and try something easier?

I've read books on programing, and i know my code needs to "listen" for "call" from the OS events. how can I discover whats happening when i scroll the desktop?

What code should i use for this project. QT, python, or C++?

Those are some of the question that would really help me get started.

thanks

Last edited by tmillz; 2009-10-16 at 00:51.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
I really think the best way of starting out is developing a widget. That is a web based runtime, or in other words, a simple web app.

ok good advice. what about a widget that will play java based games off the internet. i know there is a websight that my wife always goes to with fun little games. maybee my widget can offer easier access and better displaying of the game for n900.

Last edited by tmillz; 2009-10-16 at 15:25.

Does the n900 flash support .swf files? the sdk does not load the games and my n810 doesn't load them either. I did some checking and it looks like gnash would be a good starting point for a stand alone .swf player that I could incorporate into the game widget that connects to the web sights like the above and lists or lets you search for games. What do you think? waist of time or what?

Last edited by chemist; 2019-11-03 at 16:11. Reason: Link removed on request of domain

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Yes, Flash 9.4 is supported in the Fremantle Browser, and according to rumours 10.1 might be supported later on too.

Latest API references are available at http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/5.0-final/

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Indiana
As for code, confirm you're aiming solely for N900/Maemo 5 development? I'm no dev but if you aren't familiar with any of the 3 languages you mentioned, from all I've seen here I'd say hit Python first. (I'm dipping my toes in the Python swamp water little by little)

If you know C++ and just want to kick something out fast, then do that. Over time you'd definitely want to head the Qt direction. Both Python and Qt have significant overhead which may reduce your user/test base on the N8xx devices, Python less so. But if you go straight for Qt you're assured N900 functionality and minimal tweaking for future Harmattan devices.

As for Flash 10.x support, considering Adobe's either making deals or handing out Flash 10 passes to all the major players, there's no reason to not expect that down the road. It just doesn't make sense to not get that update for the N900 when Nokia's competition is likely to get it.

You mentioned java based games off the internet, but then later speak of Flash. Java is not natively supported on the N900 and has been painfully and I think rarely made to work on the N8xx but don't quote me (and don't hit me if I'm wrong!) so I suggest using Search here on the site and see what comes up in answer to your questions.

I was under the impression you could playback .swf files in some regard on the N8xx devices already, assuming version requirements are met. I believe either an app to capture the file or steps to do so are in one of the threads here. Again, search, search, then search again.

Originally Posted by daveb70 View Post
You mentioned java based games off the internet, but then later speak of Flash
My aim is to increase the entertainment value of the N900, so any format java or flash with games made already would be ideal. my app will facilitate playing them on the N900. Ive spent the night checking out gnash. first compiled symantic version in ubuntu 8.1 it was working great, downloaded .swf file from http://www.adultswim.com games and it played a little slow. then it stoped working so im compiling the latest version now to try it out on ubuntu then i will try to port it to Fremantle.

I dont think the N900 will suport .swf files, or games like the ones from adultswims website with the firefox browser. I know the N810 and the N900 SDK wont. maybee i sould open another thread and ask the question from somebody who has one in hand.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
My n810 supports .swf files out of the box. Simply double click them to open them up in the browser. Also, kmplayer can embed the flash plugin as well. I am guessing the n900 can do the same.

The addicting games thing my be trying to prevent local access.

If you want proof of this or help, I can take a quick vid.

Java is going to be harder, because there is no native support.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Last edited by Thesandlord; 2009-10-17 at 04:56.

yes please help or a url example would be nice. every .swf i click on freezes my n810. and when i double clicked in the fremantle sdk it downloaded the file but couldnt play it.

oh yea got the gnash working on ubuntu again

Last edited by tmillz; 2009-10-17 at 06:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to tmillz For This Useful Post:

Tags