Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Hmmm. No 12.04 installs to hand.

Couple of quick screen grabs from a Xephyr session on my main box with different DPIs just to see how it copes.

From running outwith the constraints of the 840x480 session, it appears the main window requires >840 (there is a properties icon in the far top right that is missed out) and the first two columns cannot be made any smaller.

Filed under nice, but no. Very quick though.
Attached Images

Last edited by gregoranderson; 2012-07-04 at 13:21.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
I don't know maybe I am too tired to get things right...

I installed xubuntu on n900. I don't have wifi Issues at all and I can move too-big-for-screen-windows with control-touchclick and that's pretty nice. I also installed a compact theme so menus and stuff look good on 800x480. All in all it's pretty nice and performance is good but... while I can change language for keyboard some buttons are dead.

I did have this dead button thing on archlinux on n900 some time ago, the solution was to use NOT use n900-keyboard.map, only xorg config unless you need to use console outside Xorg. Doesn't seem to work here. Also bluetooth firmware doesn't load for me, maybe I didn't get the right one?

Ideas?

about the cam, there is probably not good software in ubuntu. seems like we need to include it. found this: http://graphics.stanford.edu/projects/camera-2.0/ and http://fcam.garage.maemo.org/ no idea how much work is neccesary to get it working.

Last edited by unknown.obvious; 2012-07-05 at 01:46. Reason: cam source

The Following User Says Thank You to unknown.obvious For This Useful Post:
I installed xubuntu on n900. I don't have wifi Issues at all and I can move too-big-for-screen-windows with control-touchclick and that's pretty nice. I also installed a compact theme so menus and stuff look good on 800x480. All in all it's pretty nice and performance is good but...
Indeed, I agree the system is pretty usable. I suggest you try enlightenment with the Illume profile (install e17). I had never tried it before, and it was a nice surprise, as it is elegant and almost touch-ready.

Regarding the wifi issue I have, my n900 seems to disconnect while there is high traffic on my router. May be a router issue. I am scheduled to try nm, though, to see if that makes a difference.

while I can change language for keyboard some buttons are dead
I am no keyboard configuration expert, but it seems the installation procedure left my /etc/default/keyboard configured as pc105. Try to change it to nokiarx51 and see if it helps. Give one example of a dead button so I can check on my unit.

Also bluetooth firmware doesn't load for me, maybe I didn't get the right one?
I have not tried bluetooth yet.

about the cam, there is probably not good software in ubuntu. seems like we need to include it. found this: http://graphics.stanford.edu/projects/camera-2.0/ and http://fcam.garage.maemo.org/ no idea how much work is neccesary to get it working.
The debian n900-pkg page states that mplayer works with the camera and it is even possible to take pictures. Although that is a start, it is far from ideal.

Porting fcamera is a damn good idea, but I cannot say how feasible.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to caveman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
Indeed, I agree the system is pretty usable. I suggest you try enlightenment with the Illume profile (install e17). I had never tried it before, and it was a nice surprise, as it is elegant and almost touch-ready.
I'll install it. Maybe xfce messes with my keyboard. testing...

Regarding the wifi issue I have, my n900 seems to disconnect while there is high traffic on my router. May be a router issue. I am scheduled to try nm, though, to see if that makes a difference.
Yes, sounds like router issue. I don't think changing wicd to NetworkManager will make much of a difference then.

I am no keyboard configuration expert, but it seems the installation procedure left my /etc/default/keyboard configured as pc105. Try to change it to nokiarx51 and see if it helps. Give one example of a dead button so I can check on my unit.
Yes, I red your post and tired it. The problem remains. The dead keys are: q,w,r,t,p,f,m and F,M (on archlinux only p,P didn't work).
The interesting thing is, the buttons work until after login.

UPDATE: Ok, keys are working in e17. xfce in ubuntu doesn't seem to like the n900 keyboard.

Last edited by unknown.obvious; 2012-07-05 at 10:27.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to unknown.obvious For This Useful Post:
Xfce customized:

It might look a bit bulky but was actualy pretty nice to use. minus keyboard issue, of course.

thegood: got keyboard working in xfce.
thebad: tried so many things that I don't know what exactly fixed it.

I have to reinstall at some point and try again to see what made it work.

EDIT:
ok, some more info on customizing.

I "unzipped" this theme http://xfce-look.org/content/show.ph...content=101531 to /usr/share/themes on sdcard and put
Code:
GtkScrollbar::slider-width        = 35
in gtkrc. This should also work with other gtk themes and will also work in lxde. The effect is nice finger friendly scrollbars.

Last edited by unknown.obvious; 2012-07-06 at 01:27.

Regarding window managers : I have always been a fan of windowmaker (wmaker) for my low spec machines and it is my choice on headless remote boxes that need an xserver running ; but with regards to Unity ...

Unity 2đ is being pulled after 12.04 - and I never really took to Unity on my dual monitor workstation. Installing gnome-panel provide a Gnome 2 style Ubuntu desktop on my workstation so it is *almost* as nice as my old 11.04 box that I so dearly miss.

Gnome tweaker is also a good tool - to scale alsorts of things and tweak usabilty on the fly.

Try:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-panel gnome-tweak-tool
Then logout and choose gnome classic from the session manager.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Originally Posted by gregoranderson View Post
but with regards to Unity ...

Unity 2đ is being pulled after 12.04 - and I never really took to Unity on my dual monitor workstation. Installing gnome-panel provide a Gnome 2 style Ubuntu desktop on my workstation so it is *almost* as nice as my old 11.04 box that I so dearly miss
I'm still running 11.04, I have been reluctant to rebuild to 12.04 (seen it, don't like Unity, "classic" mode is not as good as gnome for my purposes). You just made my mind up for me. I have to do a rebuild as run out of space on / partition & gparted is refusing to move /home partition to make room. Will rebuild to 11.04 & wait to see what 13.04 brings....

Originally Posted by macey View Post
I'm still running 11.04, I have been reluctant to rebuild to 12.04 (seen it, don't like Unity, "classic" mode is not as good as gnome for my purposes). You just made my mind up for me. I have to do a rebuild as run out of space on / partition & gparted is refusing to move /home partition to make room. Will rebuild to 11.04 & wait to see what 13.04 brings....
11.10 is actually a good compromise. It was the first dist that force Unity, but you can still choose good old Gnome 2 (aka Ubuntu Classic) from the UI Chooser. Can't recall what 11.10 had over 11.04 - (ah - I can now vdaapi worked for VLC).

@ gregoranderson
@ macey

Ok, thanks. Let's stop here. The thread is about ubuntu on n900. Your favorite DE on Desktop seems a bit OT.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to unknown.obvious For This Useful Post: